XFCE 17.2 Appearance window crashes

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dreamsofreason

XFCE 17.2 Appearance window crashes

Post by dreamsofreason »

Hello, all. I just upgraded from XFCE 17.1 to 17.2. Went well, save for one issue. When I go to open the appearance window in settings, it remains open for 2-3 seconds, then promptly closes. When trying to open the appearance settings from the terminal, this is what I get:

(xfce4-appearance-settings:4962): xfce4-appearance-settings-WARNING **: Could not open file "/usr/share/themes/Mona 1.0/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"

GLib-ERROR **: (NULL) message
Trace/breakpoint trap

Any ideas on how I might go about fixing this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: XFCE 17.2 Appearance window crashes

Post by xenopeek »

Try switching to another theme? Your "Mona 1.0" theme seems to be the problem. At least try it to confirm it is theme related issue.

Edit: I don't know how to change the theme without using Appearance, but you could reset your configuration to default with these steps: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xf ... t_settings
dreamsofreason

Post by dreamsofreason »

My theme was set to Mediterranean Darkest before the upgrade, and that is what it is currently set to. Changing themes isn't possible, as the window crashes before I can make any changes.
dreamsofreason

Post by dreamsofreason »

xenopeek wrote:
Edit: I don't know how to change the theme without using Appearance, but you could reset your configuration to default with these steps: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xf ... t_settings
I just tried that:

mv: cannot stat ‘/home/username/.config/xfce4-session/’: No such file or directory
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

"Mona 1.0" isn't installed on Linux Mint 17.2 Xfce. There isn't a package in the repositories that I found to stand out as an obvious source for this theme. Try finding the source package with this command:

Code: Select all

dpkg -S "/usr/share/themes/Mona 1.0"
Try removing that package and see if that helps.

If that doesn't help, try creating a new user account and logging in to that (or you could start with that anyway). See if the problem is also present on this account. If yes then there is something wrong on your system. If no then it's just your own account and following the steps in the link I shared to reset to default configuration is worth a shot. The error you get is fine I think; I don't have an xfce4-session here either.
dreamsofreason

Post by dreamsofreason »

dpkg -S "/usr/share/themes/Mona 1.0"

dpkg-query: no path found matching pattern /usr/share/themes/Mona 1.0

Yet, Mona 1.0 is showing in /usr/share/themes

How would I go about removing it?
dreamsofreason

Post by dreamsofreason »

I deleted the Mona 1.0 theme, and the problem still persists. Here is the output of xfce4-appearance-settings from terminal:

(xfce4-appearance-settings:6824): GLib-ERROR **: /build/buildd/glib2.0-2.40.2/./glib/gmem.c:133: failed to allocate 2048 bytes
Trace/breakpoint trap
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

xenopeek wrote:If that doesn't help, try creating a new user account and logging in to that (or you could start with that anyway). See if the problem is also present on this account. If yes then there is something wrong on your system. If no then it's just your own account
Have you tried this. What was the outcome?
dreamsofreason

Post by dreamsofreason »

xenopeek wrote:
xenopeek wrote:If that doesn't help, try creating a new user account and logging in to that (or you could start with that anyway). See if the problem is also present on this account. If yes then there is something wrong on your system. If no then it's just your own account
Have you tried this. What was the outcome?
Yes. Same thing.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

I can confirm this bug. Fresh upgrade of Xfce 17.1 to 17.2 performed today.

When running xfce4-appearance-settings from terminal I get different errors each time I try, but with the same type/theme. Either Glib, or Gslice, but all end with the general "Cannot allocate memory" or "failed to allocate 2048 bytes" or "MEMORY ERROR"
shankru85

Post by shankru85 »

Hi,

I am also having the same issue. Please help.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

bluethirdup

Post by bluethirdup »

Having the same issue too.
With the default themes and icons there is no problem but when you install other themes and icon sets, the appearance window either does not open or it opens but closes suddenly. The themes and icons I installed was ambiance-flat-colors and vibrancy icon s from Ravefinity -> http://www.ravefinity.com . When I removed these themes and icons sets the bug disappears. For now I am using xfce-theme-manager -> http://www.webupd8.org/2013/06/xfce-the ... hange.html as a workaround.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

bluethirdup wrote:When I removed these themes and icons sets the bug disappears. For now I am using xfce-theme-manager ->

http://www.webupd8.org/2013/06/xfce-theme-manager-single-gui-to-change.html
as a workaround.
That looks like a nice little app. I read this on the web page you linked:
I did find one annoyance with Xfce Theme Manager though: when installing new themes, you must click the "Rebuild DB" (rebuild the themes database) under "Advanced" or else the newly installed themes won't show up or at least not immediately.
And it caused me to wonder: If you use the Rebuild DB function, reboot - or at least log out and back in - and then try the Appearance Window, will it still crash? Or does rebuilding the database fix it? I'm unsure whether the "db" referred to is strictly that application's, or if it's a system thing and, if the latter, whether that would be part(?) of the appearance window issue? Testing this might be helpful in ultimately resolving the bug (if using the app's function does actually help).

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

To those who are having this issue with Xfce 4.12, PLEASE post the information at:

https://bugzilla.xfce.org/
so that the Xfce developers may see it and (hopefully) quickly fix the bug.

You might find it useful to also create a thread at the Xfce community website:

https://forum.xfce.org/
so that others who use Xfce as their DE can read (and post, if they have additional information). However, the bugzilla link is the "proper" place to post Xfce bugs/issues/feature requests and is probably the "place" that said developers will see it soonest (unless, perhaps, you chose to post on the developers' email list... but, IIRC, they get direct emails from bugzilla, so...).

Clem can do a lot and this is, of course, the place to discuss Mint-related issues. OtOH, this seems to be specifically an Xfce-related one, and he doesn't really have anything to do with Xfce development in any direct sense.

[EDIT: The one time I decided to post on Bugzilla about an Xfce issue, a developer read my report, created a patch, and pushed the fix to "master" - all within ~25 hours :P .]

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Fritx

Post by Fritx »

Removing "xubuntu-icon-theme" package (preinstalled in the case of upgrade, postinstalled after a fresh install) seemingly fixes the crash on my machine. Under xubuntu 15.04 the icon package works well. On the oher side I've never had this problem with xfce 4.10.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

Absolutely very first thing I do in freshly upgrated Mint was click "Appearance" then... crash. First action in system - first crash Next time I ask to be a RC tester :mrgreen:
BTW, same "appearance" from "setting manager" doesn't crash.
"Appearance" in same XFCE 4.12 in Fedora with same themes doesn't crash too.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
bluethirdup

Post by bluethirdup »

On 64-bit install of 17.2 there is no crashes. Just to note.
I am now using the settings editor on 32-bit install.
dreamsofreason

Post by dreamsofreason »

bluethirdup wrote:On 64-bit install of 17.2 there is no crashes. Just to note.
Is this a fresh install with no additional icon sets installed?
bluethirdup

Post by bluethirdup »

dreamsofreason wrote:
bluethirdup wrote:On 64-bit install of 17.2 there is no crashes. Just to note.
Is this a fresh install with no additional icon sets installed?
Fresh install with numix themes and numix icons (numix, numix circle, numix bevel) installed.

Return to “Xfce”