What does LM 17.2 xfce offer over 17.1 + updates?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mingle
Level 3
Level 3

What does LM 17.2 xfce offer over 17.1 + updates?

Post by mingle »

Hi guys,

Without looking through the features list, what's the advantage to installing the upcoming LM 17.2 xfce rather than sticking with 17.1, plus all current software updates?

Will an up-to-date 17.1 installation feature all of the improvements that 17.2 contains?

Cheers,

Mike.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Re: What does LM 17.2 xfce offer over 17.1 + updates?

Post by kc1di »

It's my understanding that 17.2 includes several fixes that reduce the ram usage and of course a full update to the latest and best Cinnamon, and Mate Desktops. I'm not sure those improvements are realized when using the xfce desktop. So you may be just as well off staying with 17.1
As Clem has said many times if it's not broke don't change it - or words to that effect.

Which ever way you go , enjoy ;)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

mingle wrote:Will an up-to-date 17.1 installation feature all of the improvements that 17.2 contains?
It doesn't feature Xfce 4.12 :roll: .

Aside from that, and speaking more generally, no. If an "up-to-date" (if you mean, all stock updates via mint-Update) 17.1 contained everything that 17.2 does... then they would be the same.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, mingle.

Mint 17.2 xfce will bring along xfce 4.12. Please, have a look here, New features in Linux Mint 17.2 Xfce, and decide whether upgrading to Mint 17.2. xfce will be what you wish to do. Note that currently, Mint 17.2 xfce is available as a release candidate only, so it is not the final release, yet.

Cheers,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

karlchen wrote:... Note that currently, Mint 17.2 xfce is available as a release candidate only, so it is not the final release, yet...
Ditto. RCs are basically betas. Not exactly ideal for beginners. It may work just fine at first until you do an update. You need some CLI recovery skills.

Actually when 17.2 Xfce comes out I'll be dl'ing the iso and testing that.

Upgrading my 17 Cinnamon laptop to 17.1 had a major hit on the video performance. I reinstalled 17 Xfce (changing cinnamon to xfce was not a related issue, I just wanted xfce) and everything works peachy again. I dl'ed and tested a 17.1 Xfce live iso and tested that as well. Same video problems.

Apparently intel support for the i915 driver is getting a little flaky. But I can't find anything about it for that intel gpu. There are problems with a couple of other ones I did find though.

As the mint wiki guides say, upgrading is not risk free.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
mingle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mingle »

Thanks for the replies guys...

I've given the 17.2 xfce RC a whirl and it seemed fine (no huge differences from 17.1)
after that I went ahead and installed xfce 4.12 on my LM 17.1 install.

It went okay, although a few annoying glitches seemed to have been introduced as
a result. The updates to Thunar (1.6.10) were nice though...

I might wait until 17.2 is out, do a proper install, configure/tweak. To get a fresh
install set up to be just how I like it only takes an hour or so. Then I can check to
see if the 17.1+xfce 4.12 glitches are still there...

Cheers,

Mike.

Return to “Xfce”