Several strange issues after standard update in early June

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
LinWinux
Level 4
Level 4

Several strange issues after standard update in early June

Post by LinWinux »

Hi everyone. Sometime in June, don't remember exactly when aside from the fact that it was in the first half of the month ... one of the updates literally hosed portions of my desktop configuration. I'm running Mint 17.1 XFCE and haven't done anything special to it, haven't configured any odd third party software, nor have I added any new devices. The changes occurred literally overnight, immediately following an update process. I've been waiting since then to see if "the glitch" would be corrected, but no such luck.
Here we are, a whole month later ...

After the mentioned update I rebooted my machine which is how I noticed the problems immediately. I don't use a screensaver at all, but I do have a local wallpaper folder in my default user account which no longer works at all. The wallpapers don't get changed as they should and all I get is the same annoying default screen. This has been going on for a month now. If I check the settings, everything APPEARS to be fine. The path to my wallpapers shows up as it should, the wallpaper pictures are the right ones, and the set time (every 24 hours) is there as well. Disabling and enabling doesn't change anything. Crazy thing is that when I look at the settings EDITOR the proper settings show up in there as well. But for some inexplicable reason my desktop settings are being ignored.
Using the settings MANAGER, almost everything else works as it should.

Icons on the desktop ... disabled by me as a default since I prefer to see a nice clean screen ... yet all of the icons are there all of the time. Regardless if I check the settings manager or the settings editor, my settings are there, but they're just being ignored.

Auto Mount my primary work partition which is different from the system drive ... doesn't work either. The settings show that my primary work partition should be auto-mounted, but no such luck. If I use the disk manager to check the auto-mount setting, it shows that everything is set correctly for the drive to auto-mount. When I open my (CAJA from MATE) preferred file manager it's no problem at all to mount my unmounted primary partition. So it's a problem that I can easily live with ... yet a problem nonetheless.

There may be a few other trivial ??? items that aren't working correctly. Haven't really had time to fine toothcomb everything else. I can see how sometimes issues pop up with things like the desktop manager, but I would have thought that the mount options for drives & partitions are controlled by something else entirely? Something odd is going on, that's for sure. Anyone else with similar issues or maybe some solutions?
Thanks.

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
PLEASE ... Don't respond to questions with meaningless or thoughtless comments!
PLEASE ... Help others, don't be lazy! Take a moment to mark your post SOLVED if you received a solution.
richyrich

Re: Several strange issues after standard update in early Ju

Post by richyrich »

One way to check/see if the problem lies in your user settings is to create another user, login to the new account, and see if the problem persists.
LinWinux
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Several strange issues after standard update in early Ju

Post by LinWinux »

Yeah, the Desktop settings worked in another user account. Just the graphical stuff though. When I tried to access my primary work partition I received the window to select the right app for what I was trying to do. Even when I used the folders icon on the bottom panel or a little later an open Thunar File Manager ... nothing would let me access that partition even though that account had full administrative privileges. The partition is not encrypted or user restricted either. Access to that partition is no issue at all from my regular account. Like I said, just some weird things that started happening inexplicably.
Nice suggestion ... but obviously not a fix. :|

PLEASE ... Don't respond to questions with meaningless or thoughtless comments!
PLEASE ... Help others, don't be lazy! Take a moment to mark your post SOLVED if you received a solution.

Return to “Xfce”