Command or application for importing camera images [solved]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Command or application for importing camera images [solved]

Post by daveinuk »

Hi Folks,

Just got my sisters laptop back that I set up with XFCE for her a few weeks back, I haven't used XFCE in a while and didn't know I had to set up media
and USB drives/cameras etc to mount and open etc -

I am in the advanced tab in thunar file manager and under camera in drives/media, I have the check in the box for ' import digital photographs when connected '
but there is nothing in the field for 'command' so I want a good 'windowsy looking' app to auto import them and keep my sister happy with Linux !

Suggestions please, it opens up a box to select an application, and I assume I'd select one of the 'gears' icons/binary packages? to have it open the program up to import, and I've seen Ristretto image viewer in the menu, but don't know if this is a good one to go for and what gear icon to select to tell it to use it, or if there is a far better alternative I'm open to suggestions, just trying to make it all smooth and seamless for her. Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Command or application for importing camera images

Post by MtnDewManiac »

That's not really an Xfce-related question.

My suggestion would be to run Synaptic Package Manager and try typing things such as photo, camera, digicam, et cetera into its search box. There are several such applications available in our repos that you can read the descriptions of, view screenshots (on some), and install from within Synaptic Package Manager without having to "search, download, and install via the web."

Some names that I remember offhand are Fotoxx, F-Spot, and Shotwell; image viewers such as Ristretto; UFRaw, which is a utility to read and manipulate raw images from digital cameras; and there was something called RawTherapee (linux folks can't spell, don't you know :lol: ) that was so obviously powerful that I took one look at it and thought, "Huh. I bet professionals actually have some clue what to do at this point. I, obviously, am not one of them."

Some people use Gimp for everything image-related. It's really powerful and has lots of plug-ins, kind of like Photoshop without the $$$$ price tag. It might be overkill, though?

I don't use a digital camera much these days. TBH, I usually just pull the memory card and stick it into the slot in my laptop when I do and, therefore, use Thunar and treat it like any other removable drive. Or I'll connect the camera with a cable and do the same. If I am using the "camera" on my cell phone, I'll either connect it with a cable (ditto on Thunar) or maybe use BlueTooth or, if I'm sending a copy to someone else as well, email it to both of us. It takes one of those smaller memory cards and I lost the adapter, lol, so I cannot just stick its card in my laptop. Besides, they stuck it under the battery, so it's a minor PitA to remove/replace it (phone is "water-proof," rated something like ½-hour @ 3' of water, which I don't expect to test but I have dropped it in a sink full of water before and like to regularly wash it, so I don't want to keep removing/replacing the back panel of the phone when I don't have to. It's a cheap one and not at all powerful by today's standards, but it has a memory card slot (albeit, inconveniently placed), a removable battery, and has proven to be remarkably durable (plus, I have "unlimited" data (I think the speed is throttled after five gigs of cellular or something, IDK), unlimited talk, and unlimited text for only $19.95/month, so I figure I should hang on to it and...

...and I just realized I was rambling. Run Synaptic Package Manager. Type some likely search keywords. Read the descriptions of a bunch of potential choices. Install one. For that matter, they're free - install them all, lol, and see which one you think your sister will like the most.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Post by daveinuk »

Thanks for the reply, but I completely disagree lol....... it (xfce) has the ability to do what I want, I know it has, I used to use it a number of years ago, I just don't know what 'command' to tell it to open or what binary 'gears' icon to choose to have it throw up a prompt when a digital camera is inserted that says

" you have inserted digital media, what would you like to do " and then get a drop down or prompt to choose something to import the images.

That's all I want to do for her, this is what she's used to doing on vista before I upgraded it ;)

I appreciate the suggestions, but they're not what she would be comfortable with.
daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Post by daveinuk »

Update: Picasa waste of time, does not even show camera to import,
f-spot: continually crashes, waste of time,
Geeqie, doesn't import waste of time. . . . .

any more people actually use that work ??

gThumb didn't work,

Ristretto opens but doesn't import or offer to??? No wonder people give up on Linux ........
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

daveinuk wrote:
Thanks for the reply, but I completely disagree lol....... it (xfce) has the ability to do what I want, I know it has, I used to use it a number of years ago, I just don't know what 'command' to tell it to open or what binary 'gears' icon to choose to have it throw up a prompt when a digital camera is inserted that says

" you have inserted digital media, what would you like to do " and then get a drop down or prompt to choose something to import the images.

That's all I want to do for her, this is what she's used to doing on vista before I upgraded it ;)

I appreciate the suggestions, but they're not what she would be comfortable with.
I just ran Shotwell, grabbed my phone (can't find the camera) and its charger cable, and connected them to my laptop.

My phone requires me to "turn on USB storage" when I connect it to a computer (and turn it off before unmounting), but that may vary with model of phone, IDK. After doing so...

Shotwell automatically started sucking picture images off my phone.

Now as far as automatically running Shotwell when I connect my phone, this would be problematic for me to test because of:
-The aforementioned requirement for me to interact with my phone to begin with so that the computer can even see it as a storage device.
-The fact that I use my phone for reading ebooks/texts and it has far more of those kinds of files than .jpegs (it's not even capable of producing .RAW images, IIRC).
-It is, after all, a small form factor computer running a modified sort of linux (or at least *nix?), and, therefore, does not have the expected simple directory of image files.

If I could find my camera, I'd test to see if I could set up some sort of "calls user's specified default photo application upon connection/mounting of camera device." If I had your sister's camera, I suspect it would be even better, because mine is quite old (in computer terms, ancient, I think it's over 10 years of age) and therefore actually acts like a hard drive when connected and so I don't have to even get into that whole mtp vs. ptp, usb mass storage question and then wonder where oh where is my camera mounted and what is the directory called question. No, I just plug the thing in (when I can find it) and it automounts as a USB drive and shows up in the top left of Thunar. So the experience would probably be different in any case.

But try running Shotwell and then connecting your sister's camera to her laptop (take a few pictures first, I guess). See if it automatically starts importing images. If not, you can figure out how the laptop mounts/identifies the camera and report back.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Post by daveinuk »

Well I'll be blown . . . . . . worked like a charm!

I'm pretty impressed TBH, I randomly selected a bunch of pictures and right clicked 'import' to find it had put them into a folder named by the year and then separated the into folders by date ! Now that's a feature I WANT to use !

I'm going to take a much better look at shotwell, I've never even seen it before although I've heard of it, but as far as my sister is concerned, this I'm sure will keep her sufficiently impressed with its ease of use, so thank you, you've made 2 new fans for shotwell by the looks of it ;)

I also just added ' shotwell ' to the dialogue box in thunar to get it to open a prompt up when the camera's turned on and that worked perfectly.

Many thanks once again . . . . . . .
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Lol. As long as it meets with your sister's needs, what can I be but happy?

I haven't really used the application much, myself, but it looks to be as nice as the ones that come with digital cameras for the other OS. Glad you like it.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi daveinuk, and anyone else,

"Digikam" is another product like "shotwell". "gtkam", etc... Search for "Digital Camera" in Synaptic Package Manager.

"Kamera" on KDE desktops.

"Gimp" can also easily handle digital cameras; go into the Synaptic Package Manager and search for "Gimp" and install anything that has to do with plug-ins and digital cameras.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

phd21 wrote:"Digikam" is another product like "shotwell". "gtkam", etc... Search for "Digital Camera" in Synaptic Package Manager.

"Kamera" on KDE desktops.

"Gimp" can also easily handle digital cameras; go into the Synaptic Package Manager and search for "Gimp" and install anything that has to do with plug-ins and digital cameras.
I thought about the first (didn't think of the second), but as it uses Qt (I believe it is written for KDE) and the OP has Xfce - which uses Gtk - I didn't mention it. I did mention the second, but didn't "push" it out of concern that it might be more (much, much more :lol: ) than what he or his sister was looking for.

But thanks for mentioning all three. They're certainly viable options, and others might find this thread in the future who are have already installed Qt (or who might be willing to), who are looking for a professional-level, expandable and extensible Great Image Manipulation Program (the G in GIMP actually stands for GNU :wink: ), or both.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Post by daveinuk »

Thanks for the suggestions but I think shotwell will be enough, my sisters not techy, doesn't need bells and whistles and I don't want to pull in a to of KDE packages on an XFCE deskttop, she's used to Vista and I want to keep the learning curve to a bare minimum or she won't use it.

I can run her thru shotwell in minutes for what she'll need, she can play around with that and she's always got the copy/cut/paste options in the file manager, this will be more than enough for her needs, thanks for all the suggestions, I've learned something too so jobs a good 'un ;)

Return to “Xfce”