[SOLVED] Windows disappear when I minimize them

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
benali72
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] Windows disappear when I minimize them

Post by benali72 »

I've been using Mint 17 32-bit with XFCE on a box for a year.

Recently I created a new user ID. I found when I use that new user ID, if I minimize a window (by clicking the Min symbol _ in the upper righthand corner of the screen), the window disappears!

Is there some trick to getting the minimized window back?

Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Windows disappear when I minimize them

Post by richyrich »

Check to make sure you have the Window Buttons applet in the panel. Right click the panel > Panel > Panel Preferences > Items tab.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Err... Alt-Tab, lol?

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
benali72
Level 4
Level 4

Post by benali72 »

Thank you both for your responses. I will try them out when I get back to the office that has that computer on Wednesday. Thanks again :D
benali72
Level 4
Level 4

Post by benali72 »

Ok, I got some answers to this issue.

The first time you log in to a newly created user id, a pop-up asks you whether you want "the default panel OR one blank panel."

If you pick the former, the Windows Button applet is already included for you in the default panel, so you need do nothing -- your minimization and retrieval of windows or panels will work just fine.

If you pick the latter, just as Richyrich says, you must manually add the Windows Button applet. If you don't, as soon as you try to minimize an application it disappears.

My problem was that I picked the "one blank panel" option and didn't know I needed to add the Windows Button applet for windows to minimize/maximum properly.

Thank you Richyrich for your help.

Return to “Xfce”