[SOLVED] Home folder icons shown on desktop.

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
brmarko3

[SOLVED] Home folder icons shown on desktop.

Post by brmarko3 »

Hi... o/

I've been searching the web for some hours now, and the only guy I found with the same issue as me is this:
https://www.linuxquestions.org/question ... er-872928/
Nevertheless, he doesn't seems to have been able to resolved it, nor Is using the same OS as me: I'm on Linux Mint 17.1 XFCE 32 bits and someway, the icons on my home folder are shown in the desktop.
It happened after I switched languages in the login screen. Right after login, the computer asked if I wished to change the name of the folders in my Home to the new language instead of keeping the english ones and I confirmed. After that, I believe the system couldn't find the Desktop folder (inside home folder) anymore and so started using the Home folder as desktop instead...
One more thing: Once I confirmed the system question, instead of renaming the folders, it created new ones keeping the english, so I got duplicated folders and as I'm completely new to linux, I'd like to know if anyone has been able to solve it or have any Idea on how to...

I believe the system path that points to the Desktop folder, inside my Home folder has been somehow changed, but I can't find where this setting is...
Thank you for your time...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Home folder icons shown on desktop.

Post by MtnDewManiac »

I can't offer a solution, but that sounds like a bug. You might want to post this at the Xfce community forum, too. Someone might have experienced it. If not, perhaps they can advise you on posting a bug report at bugzilla.xfce.org if it's determined to be something in Xfce or one of its related components. I posted a bug report there last week (my first) about one of the components in Xfce 4.12 (it was more a personal annoyance than a bug (the "About" menu item had been dropped from the xfce4-power-manager panel applet) - and the developer fixed it ~25 hours later - fast(!).

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
brmarko3

Post by brmarko3 »

Thank you.
Bug reported: https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=11996
As soon as they answer me or I find a resolution I'll post it here.
:D
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Run the following command:

Code: Select all

cat $HOME/.config/user-dirs.dirs | grep DESKTOP
The output should look like this:
XDG_DESKTOP_DIR="$HOME/Desktop"
If it looks like this:
XDG_DESKTOP_DIR="$HOME/"
It's doing exactly what it's been told to do - displaying the contents of your home directory on the desktop.

You might want to see the following: http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=20066
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
brmarko3

Post by brmarko3 »

Apparently was no bug, just configs... Solved with:

gedit $HOME/.config/user-dirs.dirs
showed:

XDG_DOWNLOAD_DIR="$HOME/"
XDG_DOCUMENTS_DIR="$HOME/"
XDG_MUSIC_DIR="$HOME/"
XDG_PICTURES_DIR="$HOME/"
XDG_VIDEOS_DIR="$HOME/"
XDG_DESKTOP_DIR="$HOME/"
XDG_TEMPLATES_DIR="$HOME/"
XDG_PUBLICSHARE_DIR="$HOME/"
then editing the above lines as below:

XDG_DESKTOP_DIR="$HOME/Desktop/"
XDG_DOWNLOAD_DIR="$HOME/Downloads/"
XDG_TEMPLATES_DIR="$HOME/Templates/"
XDG_PUBLICSHARE_DIR="$HOME/Shared/"
XDG_DOCUMENTS_DIR="$HOME/Documents/"
XDG_MUSIC_DIR="$HOME/Music/"
XDG_PICTURES_DIR="$HOME/Pictures/"
XDG_VIDEOS_DIR="$HOME/Videos/"
After reloged it worked... Thank you altair4 and MtnDewManiac.
Also, tried logging in at xfce.org to switch status to solved but for some reason says my password is wrong (tried changing it didn't work either...)
If some1 would be kind enough to post there Everything is fine (for me) now...
Thank you all.

Return to “Xfce”