analog of Windows ALL USERS\DESKTOP folder

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
illki

analog of Windows ALL USERS\DESKTOP folder

Post by illki »

Hi all,
is there anything like all users forlder in linux?
I would like to setup applications shortcuts on the desktop (firefox rdp libreoofice etc) for everyone who currently use pc or will use it in the future?
in windows i just needed to copy all needed shortcut files to all users\ desktop , how can i do it here?
thanks in advance fo reply
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: analog of Windows ALL USERS\DESKTOP folder

Post by xenopeek »

I don't think there is a standard feature for that, at least not that I know. Copying shortcuts to existing other users can be done manually. You can create a Desktop directory in /etc/skel/ and copy the shortcuts there for these to be copied to any new user accounts you create later.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Each username will have their own directory under the primary /home directory. Any copying files to other username directories will need to be done by the superuser, easily done by right clicking on the /home foler in Thunar file manager, and choosing 'open folder as root'.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

You could create a share folder in some location, and since all users isn't a Linux keryword(Name), you could even use that as the folder name
--windows puts that (all users ) into c:\users\public\Desktop
  • You could if you made a share make it match that name /users/public/Desktop
    --the only thing you will (not) miss is the need to know the drive letter (Linux doesn't use drive letters)
  • Windows
    C:\
  • Linux
    /
--equivalent location names for the filesystem tree root

That's only to provide common items that may be shared, but since each user (as already posted) gets its own /home: you can't get the windows equivalent of dumping items, such as shortcuts onto each users /home/desktop and have them load on a login..
--you need to make it happen in another way..
illki

Post by illki »

Doing this manually is not an option - as I have 50+ users in domain and almost everyone can use this machine
is there somekind of automated solution? maybe via script?

This is my first linux machine in the windows AD enviroment and I test how it behave and what problems occuring on the machine
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

illki wrote:windows AD enviroment
You should perhaps have lead with that bit :wink: I suggest editing your first post here and adding that information.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Introduce your users to the beauty of a clean desktop and the functionality of the menu.

Just kidding, but... Well, it'd make your job a lot easier. You'd be doing your small part to help preventing Lazy Brain Syndrome and the dumbing down of the human race. And, well... There are some beautiful desktop backgrounds out there :D .

You could always give all 50+ users the same user name and password information in an email, then delete every account except the one that has the information you distributed, and then warn everyone that they'll need to keep their private data on a USB drive because of security concerns. Problem solved, all users will see the same cluttered desktop when they log in. (Okay, now I really AM kidding. But I do find myself wondering if such a strategy has ever been used, lol.)

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
justwally

Post by justwally »

Because we are talking about Linux, here, no matter what you do, you will have to 'chown' the files/folders for each user after you copy them to the new machine. This is a bit problematic because of the file owner/group thing.

A custom Programs/Apps Menu file might be a more workable solution.
scryan

Post by scryan »

xenopeek wrote:I don't think there is a standard feature for that, at least not that I know. Copying shortcuts to existing other users can be done manually. You can create a Desktop directory in /etc/skel/ and copy the shortcuts there for these to be copied to any new user accounts you create later.
I think this would be the *right* answer... or at least cleanest. Its what it is there for after all... While it only works for future users, from the sound of the question this may be a new system so it could be done before we start adding users?

otherwise while I don't know the code offhand a bash script could pretty easily copy a file or directory into each directory in /home

Or directory under desktop with a share partition mounted under it.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

I think it's not a "standard feature" because it is assumed that most users on a multi-user system wish to keep their data separate (and, often, private) from the other users on that system. IIRC, one can even install applications in such a way that they are only installed for that user instead of system-wide (although I'm probably mistaken about that).

If the above wasn't the case, all users could/would just use the same login/account, wouldn't they? But people have different credentials, different web browser bookmarks (and different favored web browsers), different favored text editors, differing viewpoints on the desktop (keeping everything off of it except for the background image and running application windows vs. having it cluttered with files, duplicated application launch shortcuts from the menu, what-have-you), even - since the inclusion of the Whisker menu - differing opinions of which Xfce menu is the best, et cetera. Thus... Separate /home/{user} directories for each user.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

Return to “Xfce”