LM17.1 xfce menu vanished and cannot restore

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
l91779

LM17.1 xfce menu vanished and cannot restore

Post by l91779 »

Its a fresh install of LM 17.1 32bit xfce edition. I installed a few programs via the software manager (mostly educational items, yes some were kde based programs and others were gnome based, and I suspect this is whats done the damage). The last thing I installed before things went awfully wrong, was remmina, (vnc software).

After a reboot, the laptop now has a distinctive ubuntu feel to it, only lacking the unity menu...
the shutdown screen is now the same you would have on other mint/ubutnu editions (not the xfce one anymore) and the windows manager itself, (which expands windows to fill the screen) appears and behaves the same as the one from ubuntu. Even the desktop background is the one from ubuntu...

The menu is gone, or at least, not visible. The XFCE welcome screen allows me to access the software manager, where I have removed most, if not all of the packages I installed. I have launched the xfce repair mode, and cleaned and removed a few packages, I have even tried installing the linuxmint menu, (via the software manager), but that does not make a difference.

I can access the terminal, and have gone through numerous guides for ubuntu, as well as old xfce editions, nothing seems to fix this though. I can navigate via the terminal and confirm that the folder for xfce menu is still there.

Re-installing and starting again, is an option, however, I am likely to use the software manager again in the future, dont want to have to do a full system installation after every time.

Any advice on how to fix this, is welcome, please dont link to old threads that have advice that doesnt work, as I have already spent alot of time trying alot of incorrect things from this forum and from google.

On a different note, it would be great if LM came with restore points......
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: LM17.1 xfce menu vanished and cannot restore

Post by richyrich »

Have you tried re-installing mint-meta-xfce ? It may bring back some apps that you removed, but they may have been needed for xfce to run properly. If you use Synaptic, you can read the list before you click to install.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Re: LM17.1 xfce menu vanished and cannot restore

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Right-click on (any) panel, left-click on Panel, left-click on Add New Items, then - from the list that appears - left-click on Applications Menu (for the old-style one) or Whisker Menu (new-style one) and left-click on the Add button.

That should work unless you have (somehow) managed to actually remove the relevant menu applet from your system (as opposed to having removed it from the panel).

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

Return to “Xfce”