Whiskery Menu, MenuLibre... My menu has been trashed

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
garretthylltun

Whiskery Menu, MenuLibre... My menu has been trashed

Post by garretthylltun »

All I did was install Wine, install a few Windows apps and now my menu is trashed. Worse thing it seems to do after that was open MenuLibre which further destroyed my menu by losing almost everything but "System" and "Settings". I can add new menus and items but can't seem to get everything else back, unless I recreate them myself...

I just installed Mint(Rebecca 17.1 32bit) with XFCE last night and am now too burned out and frustrated to deal with this menu mess. I found a few prior posts from last year regarding some similar issues as I have encountered, but did not see any viable solution to the problem.

MenuLibre isn't capable of unhiding the menus that have disappeared and there are too many locations for me to figure out what files to edit manually to get this all back in order.

Can someone please guide me through what and where to fix this issue?

Thanks in advance for any help,
~Garrett
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Whiskery Menu, MenuLibre... My menu has been trashed

Post by Pjotr »

No straight answer (it looks too messed up for me to provide a tip for instant success): a temporary workaround which might bring relief, is simply adding the former Xfce menu to the Xfce panel. Like the Whisker menu itself, it's simply a panel plugin which can be removed or added at will.

Right-click on the panel - Panel - Add New Items... Then select Applications menu.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
garretthylltun

Post by garretthylltun »

Pjotr wrote:No straight answer (it looks too messed up for me to provide a tip for instant success): a temporary workaround which might bring relief, is simply adding the former Xfce menu to the Xfce panel. Like the Whisker menu itself, it's simply a panel plugin which can be removed or added at will.

Right-click on the panel - Panel - Add New Items... Then select Applications menu.
Thanks for the tip, but I already tried that too :-(
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

• Create a new user on the system.
  • Login as the new user.
  • Does the issue remain?
You will likely have to start over with some new ~/.config and/or ~/.gconf if they exist.
Adding a new user to the system is basically pointing this out if the issue is 'you' (or your profile)
or your system.
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgreeny »

I find menulibre a waste of time and still use alacarte, which seems to work fine at editing the menu, whether the whisker or main menu style.

I use both whisker and main-menu on panels; whisker on the bottom panel and the main-menu on a launcher filled panel on the left of the screen, a bit like the unity launchbar as I occasionally find the main menu useful. Editing main-menu with alacarte also seems to make similar changes to whisker, in my experience.
garretthylltun

Post by garretthylltun »

For giggles and because I just wanted to know, I installed Xubuntu. Did the same things as I did with Mint XFCE and have not encountered the problem at all. I've edited, added and removed items and menus with MenuLibre and Alacarte and suffered no ill effects. Both Whiskers and Applications Menu work and have not lost any items.

So I can only say that this must be something that is Mint specific, of course that is pure assumption and I could be wrong.

For now, I am going to continue to use Xubuntu and may revisit Mint XFCE at a later date.

Thanks for trying to help me out, very much appreciated,
~Garrett
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

garretthylltun wrote:For now, I am going to continue to use Xubuntu and may revisit Mint XFCE at a later date.

Thanks for trying to help me out, very much appreciated,
~Garrett
We'll be here when you return.
fuzzyeric
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fuzzyeric »

Could the OP{ confirm or deny that this is the same bug reported (and demonstrated by attachment) in this bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/1331575 ?

Return to “Xfce”