Black screen with mouse cursor after login

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pantek

Black screen with mouse cursor after login

Post by pantek »

My installation of LM17 XFCE worked perfectly so far. This morning I decided to create a second user on the laptop.
Strangely, when I log in with this new user, the screen remains black only showing the mouse cursor. I left it like that for 30 minutes and no change. Working with the original user I have been using for months now is no problem at all.

I marked the new user as a administrator to avoid some kind of access privilege problem, same result.

Does anyone have an idea what could be wrong with this new user?

Thanks!
Jan
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pfd27

Re: Black screen with mouse cursor after login

Post by pfd27 »

I'm having the same problem, but I didn't do anything before it happened. Mate started lagging out and after I rebooted I get the black screen.
pantek

Re: Black screen with mouse cursor after login

Post by pantek »

ByeByeXP wrote:Greetings! This does look like a "privilege problem" -- the session is properly started (display flips from login window to black with mouse cursor), but the window manager (XFWM) is unable to setup the GUI (XFCE-panel & -desktop) ... I had a similar problem on LM16-XFCE even though i had flagged the 2nd ID as "Administrator", just like you did. The way i got the 2nd ID to work was: i compared the group-membership of my original/1st ID to my 2nd ID, then enabled the 2nd ID in every group my 1st ID was activated. Surely there are commands to do this, but i'm just a noob so i just used the "Users and Groups" gui (part of "gnome-system-tools").
Hey ByeByeXP! :)
Thanks for your reply! I also compared the two users manually using the GUI (I'm too nooby for anything else) and the only group they did not share was Bumblebee. I don't think this is used to start up the GUI but I added to second user to the group anyway. Unfortunately it did not change anything. :cry:

Return to “Xfce”