[Closed]Compiz broke?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
minty1

[Closed]Compiz broke?

Post by minty1 »

Just went back Xfce window manager.

Today I went to change to another desktop and the usual ctrl+mouse would not spin the cube to another desktop. I switched to Xfwm and back to Compiz and still no go. I removed the ~/.config/compiz-1 and still not working. Also the Window Manager and Window Manager Tweaks links on the menu are not working. What happened?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bishop3337

Re: Compiz broke?

Post by bishop3337 »

I've got the same problem. Upgraded to 17.1 today and tried out the fancy new window manager compiz. Yeah looks cool, switched back to xfwm. I am left with one desktop (it won't let me create another one) and the top line and min/max/close buttons of dialogues are gone. Did I mention Alt-Tab and Alt+F4 is not working, too? Very ...... annoying.

Fixed for me I guess.
I was looking for some XFWM specific settings - tried out

Code: Select all

xfwm4 --replace
It seems to restart the window manager with the old settings. Everything seems to work as before I tried out compiz. Relogged and still worked.
minty1

Post by minty1 »

bishop3337 wrote:I've got the same problem. Upgraded to 17.1 today and tried out the fancy new window manager compiz. Yeah looks cool, switched back to xfwm. I am left with one desktop (it won't let me create another one) and the top line and min/max/close buttons of dialogues are gone. Did I mention Alt-Tab and Alt+F4 is not working, too? Very ...... annoying.

Fixed for me I guess.
I was looking for some XFWM specific settings - tried out

Code: Select all

xfwm4 --replace
It seems to restart the window manager with the old settings. Everything seems to work as before I tried out compiz. Relogged and still worked.
I'll give that a try. Thanks

EDIT: No joy :x
bishop3337

Post by bishop3337 »

Sorry - works fine for me. Was happy it did, because I am pretty new to Linux.
Hope someone with more knowledge helps you out.
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jungle_boy »

Compiz always breaks, is an unstable app.
Samsung Odyssey, Octa-core, i5 9300H, Geforce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 500GB
LM 21 Cinnamon
minty1

Post by minty1 »

OK, now I am really comfused. I was moving a window and when I got close to the edge of the screen it rotated to another desktop. Yet I cannot use ctrl-mouse to move to other desktops as I did before. Still the Window Manager and Window Manager Tweaks apps will not launch. Was there a bad update or something? Did I do something?
leadwtZ

Post by leadwtZ »

Ok - all I can say is that I did use Compiz on Kubuntu and quite successfully but when I tried it with LMMate (17.1) things kinda got screwed up. I do not use it now and wish it was an optional extra rather than included by default.

All the best.

Return to “Xfce”