problem with xfce 64-bit- lost all settings

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kerbingamer376

problem with xfce 64-bit- lost all settings

Post by kerbingamer376 »

hi,
An application (powder toy) glitched and Stopped my desktop working, so I did Ctrl-alt-f1 to boot into command line mode, and killed the app.
then I tried to get my desktop back by running startx. my desktop came back, but defaulted, no customisations. is there a command I can do that puts my desktop back to normal?

thanks,
Martin
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: problem with xfce 64-bit- lost all settings

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Martin.

You might have pressed <Ctrl><Alt><Backspace> instead. It should kill and restart the X server correctly and return you to the MDM greeter screen (login screen).
In the current situation which you describe:
See above, worth a try. If this does not work, reboot?
By the way, after you have switched to a terminal console by pressing <Ctrl><Alt><F1> you can switch back to the graphical desktop by pressing <Alt><F7> or is there is nothing on tty7, then by pressing <Alt><F8>.

Cheers,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline

Return to “Xfce”