How to remove an item from the start menu on xfce

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
linuxeffect

How to remove an item from the start menu on xfce

Post by linuxeffect »

For example, I installed the program 'Fuse' a while back (simulates an 8-bit Sinclair, it worked-no issues), and decided to uninstall a few days later. I used Synaptic Package manager for this, marking for complete removal. The program was seemingly successfully uninstalled, but within Mint's start menu, the program is still listed. The difference now is that the program now no longer has an icon, and upon executing, I receive 'Failed to execute command "/usr/bin/fuse-sdl %f" with a ' (No such file or directory)' message, as expected.

The Menu Editor within xfce does not show the program, so how do I go about removing it from the menu? Is there a config file I need to edit in relation to the menu?
Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: How to remove an item from the start menu on xfce

Post by richyrich »

Type the following command in the terminal, hit Enter, and wait for the GUI to pop up . . :)

Code: Select all

menulibre
Buzzsaw
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Buzzsaw »

they'll be a <something>.desktop file in ~/.local/share/applications and/or /usr/share/applications that you need to delete.
linuxeffect

Post by linuxeffect »

The menu editor menulibre showed nothing in relation, but the file to delete was located in /home/*username*/.local/share/applications/ as you suggested.
Previous to that I was looking in /user/local/share, but there was no applications folder there, and I could not find a related desktop or config file within /usr/share/applications either.

CharlieBigley
Level 1
Level 1

Post by CharlieBigley »

I too have a problem with editing the start menu in Mint 17.1 xfce. It seems to me the menu hieirarchy displayed and updated by MenuLibre is not the same as that actually displayed by the "Launch" button at the bottom left hand corner of the screen. Changes I make within LibreMenu are not reflected in the actual start menu - even after a re-boot of the machine. (I wanted to include a screendump, but can't work out how to - sorry!)
Buzzsaw
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Buzzsaw »

It'll be difficult for anyone to help you because you've not explained what your problem is.

What changes in MenuLibre are not affecting the menu?

Return to “Xfce”