desktop icons in xfce keep disappearing

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
allen.biggins

desktop icons in xfce keep disappearing

Post by allen.biggins »

This is a strange one.

I'm using Mint 17 Xfce (I don't know how to determine the version of xfce but the window manager for xfce is v. 4.11.1-2ubuntu2)

allenb@allenb-P7812 ~ $ uname -a
Linux allenb-P7812 3.13.0-24-generic #47-Ubuntu SMP Fri May 2 23:30:00 UTC 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
allenb@allenb-P7812 ~ $

and every now and again all my icons on the desktop vanish, including the volumes and my own document icons for LibreOffice. All the task bar items are not affected. In order to get them back again I have to log off and then log back on again and they re-appear until the next time.

I am using gufw to guard against interference from others and the log shows nothing.

I can still use the system by accessing icons on the task bar or selecting items from the menu so the problem is not catastrophic but is a nuisance.

If anybody can offer any assistance I would be truly grateful. Please advise if any further information is required with instructions how to obtain same.

Thank you

Allen
Oz

I've just realise that I have duplicated this post. As an update, I did remove the random screensaver and it did fix the problem for a while and then has returned. Currently I am using a blank screen and the problem does re-appear but not as frequently as it used to when I was using the random screensaver option.

Very strange.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: desktop icons in xfce keep disappearing

Post by richyrich »

Something to try - Menu > Settings > Window Manager Tweaks program > Compositing tab - uncheck/disable the "Enable display compositing"
allen.biggins

Post by allen.biggins »

Many thanks for that richyrich. I've made that change and will monitor the situation and advise.

Cheers

Allen
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Okay, if that doesn't seem to work, lets take a look at your graphics sytem. Cause it's nice to have compositing turned on. 8) Please copy/paste the output back here from the following terminal command:

Code: Select all

inxi -Gx
allen.biggins

Post by allen.biggins »

allenb@allenb-P7812 ~ $ inxi -Gx
Graphics: Card-1: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
Card-2: NVIDIA GF116M [GeForce GT 555M/635M] bus-ID: 01:00.0
X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) FAILED: nouveau,intel Resolution: 1600x900@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Sandybridge Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.1.3 Direct Rendering: Yes
allenb@allenb-P7812 ~ $

Please note that I don't use the Nvidia graphics card.

Cheers

Allen
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

FAILED: nouveau,intel 
Both the Nvidia AND the Intel drivers have failed . . thats the reason for your compositing problems. And I don't know anything about bumblebee, or how to set it up . . :(
allen.biggins

Post by allen.biggins »

Would that be the reason why I cannot use coloured text in Thunderbird?

Cheers

Allen
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Yes, for all of your problems . . you may want to try googling about bumblebee. (Setting up dual graphics in linux)

good luck,
richy
Dave B
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Dave B »

Hi richyrich,

If helpful, with Driver Manager nvidia-331 (recommended) driver, Bumblebee is not really needed any more. nvidia-331 driver includes PRIME Profiles (not shouting, that's how it's named :)). PRIME Profiles provides the option to select either Intel or NVIDIA, similar to Optimus when using Windows.

@ allen.biggins, installing nvidia-331 (recommended) driver may fix your problems. It is very easy to install.
  • While connected to the Internet, open Driver Manager, select nvidia-331 (recommended) and click install (depending on Internet connection speed, it may take a couple of minutes to install)
  • Once installation is complete, ignore message about logging out (never yet found that to work), instead restart Mint
  • Back in Mint, under Administration look for NVIDIA X Server Settings.
  • In NVIDIA X Server Settings look for PRIME Profiles, select Intel (Power Saving Mode).
  • Close NVIDIA X Server Settings and restart Mint.
All done!

David
JOPETA
Level 17
Level 17

Post by JOPETA »

David Black wrote:If helpful, with Driver Manager nvidia-331 (recommended) driver, Bumblebee is not really needed any more. nvidia-331 driver includes PRIME Profiles (not shouting, that's how it's named :)). PRIME Profiles provides the option to select either Intel or NVIDIA, similar to Optimus when using Windows.
¿Don't you need to restart every time you change from Intel to Nvidia with Nvidia Xserver setting(PRIME)?. With Bumblebee +bbswicht you always start with Intel, change to Nvidia w/o restarting and select the apps you want to run with Nvidia (this is really as in Windows).

If Nvidia 331 driver does not work as good as desirable, try Nvidia 340 or later from Ubuntu xorg-edgers PPA.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa 
sudo apt-get update
After updating the new drivers will be included in Mint's Hardware manager to be installed easily (do not forget to reboot). Good luck. :wink:
Dave B
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Dave B »

Hi JOPETA,

Yes, but not a problem, since I'm not a gamer I normally only switch while Blender modelling and / or Cycles GPGPU rendering.

Previously tried Bumblebee and wasn't quite as impressed as I thought I would be, it's easy to get used to the simple Windows NVIDIA implementation.

NVIDIA driver 331 has been working fine thanks (only modification is the addition of an updated modprobe, to fix a Cycles CUDA rendering older driver issue). Since I like to experiment a little, already downloaded and going to test 352.21.run. :)

David
JOPETA
Level 17
Level 17

Post by JOPETA »

Hi David!
Maybe it is not your case, but a whole session with Nvidia is a problem when you have a laptop because of battery. I'm not a gamer but use to work with GIS and CAD from time to time and this expensive piece of sh...technology is working in my computer with Bumblebee. Nvidia 349 driver works in Cinnamon as well as 304 and 340 did before but I will try 352 too (I have installed kernel 3.16). Good luck. :wink:

PD: Maybe you don't need Bumblebee to run CUDA, but with Blender using OpenGL, Bumblebee seams to be a good option (look entry #11 here. and this guide if any).
Dave B
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Dave B »

Thanks JOPETA for the links,

Several months ago, (for future reference) already saved an offline version of the web page featured in your first link. Great minds think alike! :) Will digest the information in your second link.

Have fun with 352.21 :)
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

JOPETA wrote:If Nvidia 331 driver does not work as good as desirable, try Nvidia 340 or later from Ubuntu xorg-edgers PPA.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa 
sudo apt-get update
After updating the new drivers will be included in Mint's Hardware manager to be installed easily (do not forget to reboot). Good luck. :wink:
Good tip, but the mamarley PPA is safer to use than xorg-edgers:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... nvidia-PPA
(item 1, left column)

Reason: mamarley installs *only* the Nvidia driver you require, and nothing else. In contrast to xorg-edgers, which wants to install some other bleeding-edge X.Org related packages as well. So mamarley is safer. :)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
JOPETA
Level 17
Level 17

Post by JOPETA »

Thanks Pjotr. Usualy provide your web's link as alternative but this time I forgot it :oops: . Thought I had controlled those other packages by preventing level 4 and 5 updates. :roll: I will try mamarley next month with LM 17.2 clean install. :wink:

Return to “Xfce”