Compiz white screen on Dell d600 --Solved--

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
johnmcm

Compiz white screen on Dell d600 --Solved--

Post by johnmcm »

I have the exact same problem as (metallo) the other compiz white screen poster. I have read in the follow up reply on what to put in the terminal to reset the window manager however I don't know how to bring up a terminal to enter the code?? I tried ctr-alt-t but that does not work. Any help would be appreciated.. Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Compiz white screen on Dell d600

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Run it from the menu.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
johnmcm

Post by johnmcm »

Thanks for the reply MDm but I am not sure how to get to the "menu" . After boot up All
I get is the white screen. Using CRT/atl/f1 i can type in the code
Xfwm --replace but then get an error message that
Gtk cannot oper display ...
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Ah, yes. My apologies. I had a brain-burn there for a minute. Your problem is with your display, so of course you cannot see your menu.

IDK if you can't get to your desktop or if you just cannot see it. If you think you might be able to reach your desktop, "sight unseen," as it were, you can use the default Whisper menu to run a terminal even if you cannot see it. Once you are (hopefully) at your desktop, wait a few seconds (I'd give it 15 to make sure), press the key on your keyboard which some call the "Windows" key, wait long enough that the Whisper menu will have loaded/stabilized (again, I'd give it 15 seconds since that way if this doesn't work, at least you'll know it won't be because you tried to go too fast :roll: )... Then type the following:
xfce terminal
and press your Enter button. At that point, if it worked, you'll be in the terminal. Still typing blind, most likely, but you can then try following the directions in the other thread.

Good luck!

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
johnmcm

Post by johnmcm »

Thank you very much MDM, that did the trick. It took me a couple of tries but it worked!! You have saved me a lot of time because my next step was to re-install the whole operating system. Thanks again. John

Return to “Xfce”