How can I remove GNOME Commander...

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
markfilipak
Level 6
Level 6

How can I remove GNOME Commander...

Post by markfilipak »

How can I remove GNOME Commander from my 'Whiskers Menu' > 'Accessories'.?

Thank You.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: How can I remove GNOME Commander...

Post by xenopeek »

Uninstall the program, or if you want to keep it override it's .desktop file and hide it.

Looking at the GNOME Commander packages, I see the gnome-commander-data package contains the gnome-commander.desktop file (stored in /usr/share/applications/). You do not want to mess with system files in /usr, hence you override the .desktop file in your own home folder.

Create the file ~/.local/share/applications/gnome-commander.desktop and put the following in it:

Code: Select all

[Desktop Entry]
Hidden=true
You may have to log out and log in again to effect the change. This should hide the application from your menu; if Whisker menu properly implements the .desktop specification.
markfilipak
Level 6
Level 6

Post by markfilipak »

xenopeek wrote:/usr/share/applications/
xenopeek wrote:.desktop
Those 2 tiny clues empowered me to fix many, many bad symlinks and LibreMenu entries. Thank you so much.

Other than "from xenopeek at http://forums.linuxmint.com", where can answers about Linux architecture be found? I don't mean 'man' files. They're too cryptic on the one hand, and too chatty on the other hand. I seek terse Linux documentation for the computer literate who need only clues and don't have time to wade through 'newbie' literature.

Thanks guy! Eindhoven rules!
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I don't think there's one place to answer all questions about Linux architecture, or provide all the information condensed. Most of us I guess pick things over the years; I learned most from trying to solve other users' problems here on the forums. There's a lot of information on the Arch Linux wiki that you can largely also apply to other Linux distros (exception being anything related to package management--Arch Linux uses pacman, Linux Mint uses APT; or anything related to systemd as Linux Mint doesn't [yet] use systemd). The Debian Administrator's Handbook is useful to understand the package management on Linux Mint better.

I picked up how things like .desktop files work from reading the specifications on freedesktop.org.
markfilipak
Level 6
Level 6

Post by markfilipak »

Thanks for the links. I'll peruse them with relish. I have time & desire to make significant contributions, but I have definite ideas. May I PM you?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Sure :) Though for topics where my answers might also benefit others, I prefer to keep it public.

Return to “Xfce”