[Solved] When will Xfce 4.12 be available?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
zargon12

[Solved] When will Xfce 4.12 be available?

Post by zargon12 »

Hi

Will we be able to use 4.12 when it comes out next week?

Anyone know?

Thanks

Murray
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: When will Xfce 4.12 be available?

Post by jimallyn »

You can install the development version of it right now, if that's your thing.

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/xubuntu-dev/xfce-4.12/ubuntu trusty main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/xubuntu-dev/xfce-4.12/ubuntu trusty main
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

jimallyn wrote:When will Xfce 4.12 be available?
Now.

I have no information on when (or, admittedly, if) it will be added to the Mint 17 / 17.1 repositories. My hope is "soon," but that's obviously not my decision. All I have to go on at this point is, from my reading here, I have inferred that Clem intends to keep our distro current as far as the Cinnamon and MATE DEs (and, I think(?), there related components such as file managers, et cetera) go - and Xfce is, of course, the DE for the Xfce version of Mint. That having been said, however, I fully realize that we as Xfce users make up a smaller percentage of Mint users than the other two DEs that I just mentioned... So I cannot imagine that updating versions of Xfce and all its related components, applications, and other files would be "Priority Number One."

The good news - as I see it - is that, with the way that the Xfce developers structure their version numbers, the entire 4.11 "set" was classed as a development version, and 4.12 as stable. Having tried to read along with the Xfce email lists, I've gotten the idea that they take the term "stable" seriously. I currently only have one computer - a laptop with a non-functioning optical drive and which lacks the ability to boot from USB/SD - so if I do something that pooches it, I'm really screwed... And I'm still eagerly awaiting the (hopeful) updates :D .

There is a long thread over at the Xfce DE community forum in which a member (there) named ToZ has given us regular information and screenshots about the features and bug-fixes in Xfce 4.11 and now in Xfce 4.12. (He's a pretty helpful person, BtW; Mint is not his regular distro, yet when a Mint Xfce user recently posted a thread over there about an issue he was having (for which a solution was posted that did not work for him), ToZ downloaded and installed Mint Xfce so he could delve into it and see what differences our distro had from the "usual" Xfce distros and successfully help that Mint user. Feel free to give him a "shout" and let him know that you're a (Mint) Xfce user if you visit to read about all the changes/improvements that have happened in Xfce since version 4.10 was released (oh, so long ago ( :lol: )). I believe that the posts about the 4.12/stable stuff starts somewhere around post #150 or a few posts after that, but you might find the entire thread to be of interest:
https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=8945

Additionally, I just discovered this:
http://www.xfce.org/about/news/?post=1425081600

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
ddalley
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ddalley »

Typically, how long does it take for a new DE to show up in our own repository, so that it updates properly?
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

I don't track all these things, but my recollection is the major Cinnamon version update rolled out with the point release Mint 17.1. I'm also interested in getting XFCE 4.12 and not sure if it will be a routine update or included with point release 17.2 - would be nice if someone in the know advises on it here, or in the Releases thread.
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Mint/Ubuntu user since 10.04 LTS. LM20 64 bit XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual boot LM20 XFCE / Win7 (Lenovo desktop and Acer netbook). Testing LM21.1 Cinnamon and XFCE Live for new Lenovo desktop.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

The devs are busily working on LMDE Betsy, so will not have any time for Xfce.
catfish12

Post by catfish12 »

xfce 4.12 not ready for mint 17.1 14.04 base :roll: hopefully soon
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

richyrich wrote:The devs are busily working on LMDE Betsy, so will not have any time for Xfce.
And just because you know it's coming..."will Betsy2 have Xfce 4.12?"

I'm pretty sure that's a "no" ;)
But there's always a flood of similar subjected threads during such a time.
WinterTroubles

Post by WinterTroubles »

bob2007

Re: [Solved] When will Xfce 4.12 be available?

Post by bob2007 »

Thanks jimallyn

the ppa worked and I now have XFCE 4.12 in my mint 17.1 box. After installing it I had to un check the ppa due to the errors I kept getting because of no Authentication Key.

Do you have a link to where I can download the Authentication Key at.

Please let me know.

Bob L
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Re: [Solved] When will Xfce 4.12 be available?

Post by Bolle1961 »

You can download the key from Launchpad
https://launchpad.net/~xubuntu-dev/+arc ... /xfce-4.12
Key number:
1024R/142986CE
The key on Ubuntu keyserver
http://keyserver.ubuntu.com:11371/pks/l ... E&op=index

Return to “Xfce”