[Solved] Trash without desktop?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
markfilipak
Level 6
Level 6

[Solved] Trash without desktop?

Post by markfilipak »

===== Solution: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=192656 =====

Is there some way to access Trash (view/recover/delete contents) without resorting to the desktop?

Thank You.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Trash without desktop?

Post by Flemur »

Check out "gvfs-trash" and "gvfs-ls trash://"
You probably already have them.

Or you could look at the 'trash" directories:
~/.local/share/Trash
and
.Trash-UID (like .Trash-1000) on each partition.

I'm not sure those will let you recover files; perhaps 'mv' files from trash to original location?
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

markfilipak wrote:Is there some way to access Trash (view/recover/delete contents) without resorting to the desktop?
Left side of Thunar, if you still have the application configured (as is its default) to have the side pane display shortcuts instead of the tree. The "Places" panel applet also has an entry titled "Trash."

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
markfilipak
Level 6
Level 6

Post by markfilipak »

MtnDewManiac wrote:
markfilipak wrote:Is there some way to access Trash (view/recover/delete contents) without resorting to the desktop?
Left side of Thunar,..
Thank you, MDM. I see it. 'trash:///', eh? Where's that?

The reason I ask is that I don't ordinarily use Thunar. I use Double Commander. If I can translate 'trash:///' to an actual path then I can put it on a Double Commander tab. Two things come to mind:

Does anyone know of a 'Trash' utility I can add to the Whiskers Menu?

Does anyone know of a concise (but not cryptic) road map to the Linux filesystem architecture that might show where 'trash:///' is located?

I used UNIX in college in the 1970s. I hated it for its illogical organization that only a UNIX system programmer would love. Having various parts of applications scattered all over the place in fixed-name directories based on the contents of the application's various file is, in my opinion, ...mmm... an 'unfortunate choice'. I much preferred the IBM 'method': Using the file system to organize applications based on use (or any other user-determined method) with file extensions determining what the operating system does with the various files when they are opened. That method is, of course, what Tim Paterson of Seattle Computer Products (and later, Bill Gates of Microsoft) followed.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Each user has his own trash folder. This is its location, as Flemur already said:
/home/your-user-name/.local/share/Trash/
or:
~/.local/share/Trash/
....which is the same.

Straight to the files in it:
/home/your-user-name/.local/share/Trash/files/
or:
~/.local/share/Trash/files/
---which is, again, the same.

Note the dot before .local. This means that it's a hidden folder, which you can make visible by the key combination Ctrl h or by clicking that option in the panel of your file manager.

For the rest: Linux isn't Windows, thank Heaven. File extensions as determining factor for the actions of the operating system, is a bad idea in my book. It's a security risk or simply a nuisance whenever the file extension is wrong or missing. So I much prefer the Linux way...
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
markfilipak
Level 6
Level 6

Post by markfilipak »

Pjotr wrote:...For the rest: Linux isn't Windows, thank Heaven. File extensions as determining factor for the actions of the operating system, is a bad idea in my book. It's a security risk or simply a nuisance whenever the file extension is wrong or missing. So I much prefer the Linux way...
To each his/her own, eh? I guess that's why Windows has about 90% of the OS market and Linux (all flavors/distros) has 1%.
markfilipak
Level 6
Level 6

Post by markfilipak »

Flemur wrote:Check out "gvfs-trash" and "gvfs-ls trash://"
You probably already have them.

Or you could look at the 'trash" directories:
~/.local/share/Trash
and
.Trash-UID (like .Trash-1000) on each partition.

I'm not sure those will let you recover files; perhaps 'mv' files from trash to original location?
Thanks, Flemur. When you wrote this reply I was looking for something that would manage Trash that I could add to the Whiskers Menu. Adding a 'Trash' tab to Double Commander works too, but restoring files from trash to their original paths is totally manual.
  • '~/.local/share/Trash/files/<filename>' is the file, and
    '~/.local/share/Trash/info/<filename>.trashinfo' contains the original path.

Return to “Xfce”