Accidentally deleted some stuff in XFCE

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kalomint

Accidentally deleted some stuff in XFCE

Post by kalomint »

I have been trying to make my mint 13 XFCE look nicer. Unfortunately, I accidentally deleted some stuff while fiddling with themes. I went to Synaptic to remove gnome themes, but then in the popup (which I did not read) - usually asks to select dependent programs - I just hit OK. I thought it will grab all the variations of gnome-wine gnome-wise etc the themes and the icons. Unfortunately, not only did it remove stuff, it also installed 300 MB of stuff. All seemed fine at first glance, but I just noticed I no longer have Image Viewer (eog). I might be missing more applications.

What can I do now to make sure I am not missing anything else? Can I safely run some commands to install mint XFCE again and hope that only missing stuff will be added magically?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
shengchieh

Re: Accidentally deleted some stuff in XFCE

Post by shengchieh »

I'm sure others have a better solution.

Mine is to open Synaptic P.M. and do file -> history and study what were installed and what were removed. And then try to "reverse".

Sheng-Chieh
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

but then in the popup (which I did not read)

Don't not read things!

Can I safely run some commands to install mint XFCE again and hope that only missing stuff will be added magically?

A trick that works sometimes: reinstall "eog" and it'll (re)install the dependencies.

And/or, in synaptic*, look for an xfce "meta" package and reinstall that. (quick-filter or search for "xfce4 meta")
(*or command-line apt...synaptic is easier). It's liable to show up as already installed, so re-install.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
kalomint

Post by kalomint »

Thanks, guys. Let me try looking into Synaptic. I like the idea if re-installing xfce4 meta :)
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

mint-meta-xfce

Return to “Xfce”