Can I get "View as Icons" in XFCE's "Open Files" Dialog box?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nscreated

Can I get "View as Icons" in XFCE's "Open Files" Dialog box?

Post by nscreated »

Installed Mint XFCE for my wife, and she likes it well enough, but she is annoyed that there doesn't seem to be a "View as Icons" option when in the "Open Files" dialog box. Would make it much easier for her to select photos to upload to her social media, etc.

Is there a tweak or a keyboard shortcut for this?

EDIT: It appears that Firefox does not allow previews, but Chromium does (it shows the preview on the right side of the "Open Files" dialog. So I guess my question becomes, is there a way I can get that behavior for FireFox? Or do I need to hit up Mozilla support?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Can I get "View as Icons" in XFCE's "Open Files" Dialog

Post by all41 »

There is a selection in the File Manager toolbar View to View as Icons.
Keyboard shortcuts for views are Ctrl+1, Ctrl+2, and Ctrl+3
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
nscreated

Post by nscreated »

Thanks. I tried the CTRL shortcuts, but to no avail. And there's no file manager menus in the "Open Files" dialog. Attached a screenshot.

If getting previews is possible at all, I suspect I will either need to tweak Thunar's or Firefox's settings somehow.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Just to be sure-you are referring to the Firefox tool-bar File/Open File? Firefox does not render thumbnails there,
but I can see how that would be useful.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
nscreated

Post by nscreated »

Sorry, I mean the "Open Files" dialog box that it uses whenever a website requests a file, e.g., uploading photos to Snapfish or Google Drive, for example.

Return to “Xfce”