[Explained] File Sys properties: "some contents unreadable"

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
markfilipak
Level 6
Level 6

[Explained] File Sys properties: "some contents unreadable"

Post by markfilipak »

===== Begin summary explanation =====
I right-clicked on the "File System" icon on the desktop and selected "Properties...". I got "some contents unreadable". I freaked.

I suspected it might be a matter of not having 'root' permissions for everything outside my home directory, but I wasn't sure (and the file system could have actually been corrupt, right?)

Then I tried "open folder as 'root'" in the same right-click context menu and tried again. This time, after entering the 'root' password, Thunar opened and I tried "Properties..." on "File System" once again. This time there was no "some contents unreadable" notice.

It's a bit off-putting to see: "some content unreadable". I wish that message was more specific, like: "Inadequate permissions have limited this operation. Retry as 'root'."

By the way, there's some great suggestions from DrHu, niowluka, and WinterTroubles here.
===== End summary explanation =====

When I check the properties (right-click > "Properties...") of an icon on my desktop labeled "File System" the properties dialog displays "some contents unreadable".

Is the file system corrupt? Is there some way to check it?

I am not the type who asks without searching for my own answer. I searched for similar topics on the net (DuckDuckGo). Some go back over 10 years. I have yet to find an explanation. Often "some contents unreadable" is ignored by respondents. Sometimes "some contents unreadable" is blamed on causes completely unrelated to the file system. I have yet to find a source who knows what it means and why it is being displayed. I have yet to find any way to actually test the file system to determine whether it is corrupt.

It's very discouraging that an operating system as mature as Linux does not have the bare minimum of test utilities. Please help if you can.

Thank You.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
niowluka

Re: File System properties: "some contents unreadable"

Post by niowluka »

markfilipak wrote:It's very discouraging that an operating system as mature as Linux does not have the bare minimum of test utilities.
Who told you that ?

What properties do you want to know ?
markfilipak
Level 6
Level 6

Post by markfilipak »

niowluka wrote:
markfilipak wrote:It's very discouraging that an operating system as mature as Linux does not have the bare minimum of test utilities.
Who told you that ?
Howdy. "Who told me"? No one told me. I'm actually using Linux Mint and there are no test utilities.
What properties do you want to know ?
Is my Ext4 system volume corrupt? Also, my swap volume.

Thank You.
niowluka

Post by niowluka »

markfilipak wrote:I'm actually using Linux Mint and there are no test utilities.
By default Linux will check your system filesystem for errors on boot. From your above comment I doubt you have enough knowledge to change it, but to double check, please, post contents of /etc/fstab

You can check filesystem yourself by running:

Code: Select all

sudo fsck /dev/sdX
Where X points to your root device, e.g. /dev/sda1. But you shouldn't do on a running system, otherwise it may corrupt a healthy filesystem.

As for swap, there is no filesystem on it so it can't be corrupt.
markfilipak
Level 6
Level 6

Post by markfilipak »

Thanks for your attention.

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
# / was on /dev/sda1 during installation
UUID=56e35e74-0d3b-4158-8293-675b5c7a615a / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
# swap was on /dev/sda5 during installation
UUID=490ced78-79c9-475d-afd4-a0d9d3fdd5a6 none swap sw 0 0

What would make "some contents unreadable"? Permissions? Ownership? If the "Properties..." context menu needs 'root', then why doesn't it prompt? According to the searches I've done, this situation has existed for over 10 years.

Ciao.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

It means according to the file manager in XFCE (Thunar) that some file(s) seem to be unreadable
-as to the WHY of the problem: a lot depends on how you have used the system and whether you for example let operations complete before forcing exits
  • For example killing a copy or move function within the file manager
    --no doubt that would make a file(s) seem unreadable
By the way, I find thunar sometimes idly behaved especially with the combination (hotkeys) to move within separate thunar windows for their file management
--I actually prefer something like midnight commander, double-pane (based on Gnome commander) or Gnome commander itself
  • [All good and proper two-pane file managers
    --not TAB selections, and pseudo two panel management
And whether or not you like to search for answers yourself or not
  • --since you know exactly what you are looking at and sometimes user descriptions are not absolutely clear or accurate, a personal search on the XFCE forum for your issue would likely be the most effective way of getting an answer
[/list]

The rest of us usually have to guess "what does the poster really mean by their statement: EXACTLY ? "

XFCE desktop selected entries /part of their forum site..
http://forum.xfce.org/viewforum.php?id=4
niowluka

Post by niowluka »

I do not use a desktop so I am not sure what kind of 'properties' open up, but I would strongly suspect the message is due to permissions, especially if they don't ask for your admin password, i.e. some properties can only be obtained by root / admin.

The question is:

what properties

you want

to

check.
WinterTroubles

Post by WinterTroubles »

I suspect that niowluka is on the right lines..

In Cinnamon when opening the properties window in Nemo for the 'file system' or 'home' as User I get "some content unreadable", when performing the same actions with Nemo when 'opened as root' the message does not appear. Comparing the properties of 'home' when opened as user and opened as root I see a file count difference of one which corresponds exactly with the one 'Root' owned file in my home directory.

Regards
WT
markfilipak
Level 6
Level 6

Post by markfilipak »

You guys are the greatest. I will respond to all 3 of you. I discovered the answer (which I have posted with '[Explained]'). To read the explanation, kindly see the thread starter.
DrHu wrote:I actually prefer something like midnight commander, double-pane (based on Gnome commander) or Gnome commander itself
I'll try Gnome Commander. I'm using Double Commander right now. I've used Christian Ghisler's Total Commander in Windows for about 20 years. It's incredibly powerful with built-in bulk compare (backup, synchronization), FTP (and SFTP), etc.
DrHu wrote:...a personal search on the XFCE forum for your issue would likely be the most effective way of getting an answer
I do that 1st, then I search the net.
DrHu wrote:The rest of us usually have to guess "what does the poster really mean by their statement: EXACTLY ? "
Yes indeed.
niowluka wrote:I do not use a desktop ...
What do you do, hold the computer in your lap? Hahahahahahaha...
WinterTroubles wrote:...as User I get "some content unreadable", ... when 'opened as root' the message does not appear.
Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner! (That's what I discovered.)

It's a bit off-putting to see: "some content unreadable". I wish that message was more specific, like: "Inadequate permissions have limited this operation. Retry as 'root'."
zromeo30

Re: [Explained] File Sys properties: "some contents unreadable"

Post by zromeo30 »

i got the same problem, but mine is a little different i partition my hdd, the file system(linux) works perfectly, my other partition hdd, does not its a ext3/ext4 file system, i cant paste anything or make a new folder. how to use this one?, im running out of spaces already. :?
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: [Explained] File Sys properties: "some contents unreadable"

Post by austin.texas »

zromeo30 wrote:i got the same problem, but mine is a little different i partition my hdd, the file system(linux) works perfectly, my other partition hdd, does not its a ext3/ext4 file system, i cant paste anything or make a new folder. how to use this one?, im running out of spaces already. :?
You have added a question to a discussion from January, 2015.
It would be best to open a new thread with your question here :arrow: viewforum.php?f=90
Include the results of the command:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

Return to “Xfce”