upgrading to 17.1 from RC broke bluetooth audio

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
oldgranola
Level 5
Level 5

upgrading to 17.1 from RC broke bluetooth audio

Post by oldgranola »

Well Grrr. I was kind of proud that I could get audio working via bluetooth to a headset in the RC version using a fix to bluemon as i posted previously. However, upgrading to the full 17.1 xfce seems to have busted my bluetooth to audio setup and the fix I had used prev doesn't seem to help.
I added bluemon:
sudo apt-get install blueman bluez pulseaudio-module-bluetooth
I can see and pair with my headset however it doesn't appear in the sound control applet unless I go to terminal and type:
"pactl load-module module-bluetooth-discover " which then lets me connect via "audiosink" and choose the A2DP prifile in bluemon device settings. Then I can see the headseat in the audio output settings. However, I still cannot get sound out through it and don't see anything there more to choose to get it to work. Bluemon thinks its paired ok, pulseaudio can see it, but no sound to the headset only to the built in speakers. I'm stuck. So tail tucked I humbly ask for help.

system: LM17.1 xfce updated to current, USB-bluetooth dongle 4.0
BTW, having to load the module for bluetooth discover every reboot and using the bt device manager to start both heaset and audiosink and changing profile to A2DP sure seems a long way around what should be a sinple thing....
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
comadore, pcDOS, hpux, solaris, vms-vax ....blah blah blah..
Yet I'm still a fn nooob
oldgranola
Level 5
Level 5

Re: upgrading to 17.1 from RC broke bluetooth audio

Post by oldgranola »

Update. Got it working. Had to open the audio settings applet, go to the configuration tab, turn profile to internal speakers to "off" and profile for headset to High Fidelity Playback [A2DP]

Summary:
Bluemon installed via the applications manager doesn't seem to work as it doesn't activate the bluetooth-discover module and activating via command line fails also.
Fix as partially noted prev:
1. Optional purge all bluetooth
sudo apt-get purge pulseaudio-module-bluetooth bluetooth bluez-* bluez
2. reinstall bluemon and pulseaudio module for bt
sudo apt-get install blueman bluez pulseaudio-module-bluetooth
3. Load missing module
pactl load-module module-bluetooth-discover
4. open bluemon applet and "set up new device", allow to pair.
5. open bluemon aplplet >devices. in menue >devices, choose to connect to 'audio synce' and 'headset'. Im sure your setup may vary here.
6.also within bluemon applet>devices: menue >devices>profile choose >profile A2DP (or what ever you want)
7. Open applet for volume control >sound settings (its way at bottom) and make sure your device appears in the "output" tab.
8. In the volue control >sound settings applet go to the "configuration" tab, turn the profile for internal speakers to "off", set the profile for your device to High Fidelity Playback [A2DP] or whatever you wish.

Notes, I have to activate via command line the discouver module every time I boot. Guess I need to learn to add such a line to the startup set. I still have to manually start the videosink connection and set the BT profile to A2DP each time after rebooting after pairing. This is irritating. I much prefer how it works in LM Cinnamon
Yet I'm still a fn nooob
oldgranola
Level 5
Level 5

Re: upgrading to 17.1 from RC broke bluetooth audio

Post by oldgranola »

Regarding bluemon from the ubuntu 'trysty' build. I have it on good authority from github bluemon project folks that it is broken and will NOT likely be fixed. It has been fixed in the next ubuntu build 'Utopic' so the issue is seen as closed. So if LM distros that use bluemon such as Mate and XFCE wish to have functional bluetooth sound support, it will be necessary to incorporate Utopic instead of Trusty as the Ubuntu base. Thats too bad. I was asked to try rolling my own but I think that is a bit more than I want to tackle. Anyone else want to try to make a 'Utopic' based LM XFCE? Clem?

So for me, I no longer think XFCE is the way to go until BT works without having to go to the command line etc.
Yet I'm still a fn nooob

Return to “Xfce”