Panel and Desktop Kiosk Mode settings

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Elecweasel

Panel and Desktop Kiosk Mode settings

Post by Elecweasel »

XFCE version: 4.10
Distribution: Linux Mint XFCE 17 x64

I have my panel and desktop set up with my desired settings and look as shown in the first image, however I would like to lock the panel into kiosk mode to prevent changes by unskilled users.

Image ←--Desired Panel and Desktop

I have modified the kioskrc (/etc/xdg/xfce4/kiosk/) and the xfce4-panel.xml (/etc/xdg/xfce4/xconf/xfce-perchannel-xml) as shown in the second and third images below.

Image ←--kioskrc Settings

Image ←--panel.xml Settings

After making the above changes the panel is locked into kiosk mode as desired, however the desktop and panel revert to a partially default look. The whisker menu and clock have my customized settings, however the launchers and other icons are missing, and the home folder is now visible. (Image below)

Image ←--Panel and Desktop with Kiosk mode ON

I need assistance figuring out which configuration file(s) that I need to edit to achieve my desired results of having a locked down panel and desktop with my customized settings and launchers.

If anyone requires more information please ask, I would be more than happy to provide any information needed.

Additional questions:
  • Is this a known bug that I am unaware of?
  • Is there possibly a workaround to achieve the desired results?
-Thanks for the time and effort in assisting me; apologies for all the pictures.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
shengchieh

Re: Panel and Desktop Kiosk Mode settings

Post by shengchieh »

I'm sure there is a way to lock it . Try surfing thru

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=linux+kiosk+lock&t=lm

a DDG search for linux kiosk lock

------

But...

LM is not designed for kiosk. I would go go a linux distro specifically geared to kiosk. Surf thru

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=lm&q=linux+kiosk+distro

a DDG search for linux kiosk distro

I've heard good word about Porteus.

Sheng-Chieh
Elecweasel

Post by Elecweasel »

shengchieh wrote:LM is not designed for kiosk.
This does seem to be the case, though I'm sure it's not impossible. I have a workaround that works for me by write-locking the xfconf folder, which reverts changes on logout. I would still like to lock the panel to prevent changes and use write-locking as a backup in case someone does make changes.
shengchieh wrote:I've heard good word about Porteus.
I've looked into Porteus (which is really cool) and other Kiosk distros. However, most of them are for "Web only" kiosks which is not what I need.

Thanks for the response, however I find it a little patronizing that you would post links to "google" searches as an answer; that really isn't helpful.
shengchieh

Post by shengchieh »

I posted search links because I don't have time to learn (I only here every 2-3 days) - I just know it's out there. I can post nothing if you prefer.

If you don't want web kiosk, then why don't you make another user account and give it user only permission? Then in root, encrypt the home directory other than the guest account.

Sheng-Chieh
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

The local library uses Groovix on its public access computers. It's not free, but it has apparently been trouble free for our library. Keeps the patrons from messing with the computers.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Return to “Xfce”