Mint 17 Xfce along with a Cinnamon desktop, conflicts?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cipricus
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 17 Xfce along with a Cinnamon desktop, conflicts?

Post by cipricus »

I have installed Linux Mint 17 Qiana Xfce and then the Cinnamon desktop too. I want both, but I would like to use Cinnamon for a while.

When starting Cinnamon the desktop is not usable, I am sure that Thunar is still managing it.

What to do?

I have used Xfce a lot and I always bumped into conflicts between Thunar and Nautilus (and Nautilus forks), so I usually prefer to remove the latter when having Thunar installed. But I want to give it another try, especially that people say that one can use Xfce and Cinnamon with no problem.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nomko

Re: Mint 17 Xfce along with a Cinnamon desktop, conflicts?

Post by nomko »

I understand you installed 1 (single) Mint installation (Xfce) and later only installed the Cinnamon desktop? Yes, that could give some issues => conflicts between some packages to use. Basically what you did is mixing Cinnamon and Xfce in 1 cup to create 1 flavour. That mix might looks tasty, but it could taste horrible ;)

Why not a dual boot setup? It's not that difficult to do. and you keep both file systems separate from each other preventing any file conflicts.

Return to “Xfce”