Removing leftover pieces of Mate in XFCE[SOLVED MOSTLY]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
WoodLark

Removing leftover pieces of Mate in XFCE[SOLVED MOSTLY]

Post by WoodLark »

I am running Mint 17 XFCE. I decide to try out Mate and installed it from the Software Manager. I did not like it at all, and uninstalled it through the Software Manager. I now see that there are bits and pieces of Mate still scattered throughout my system. Is there a simple way to remove them all at once, or do I have to [carefully] go through file by file and remove them one at a time?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Removing leftover pieces of Mate in XFCE

Post by kc1di »

only way I know of is to do them one at a time. sorry.
be very careful it does not delete any needed xfce dependencies though.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
WoodLark

Post by WoodLark »

kc1di wrote:only way I know of is to do them one at a time. sorry.
be very careful it does not delete any needed xfce dependencies though.
Yeah! Removing something that shouldn't be removed is what worries me.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

if you have plenty of disk space and they are not interfering with anything your doing with xfce - I'd advise just leaving them for now or doing a clean install of xfce. Just MHO though :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
Mik3e
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mik3e »

If you are a bit obsessive (like me) load the package manager, select the mate package, and view the 'installed files' tab. Also, check File > History. For the safety of it I'd also have a paper copy of the apt-get install command for XFCE. In case of emergency all that's needed is a terminal to run it.
WoodLark

Post by WoodLark »

Mik3e wrote:If you are a bit obsessive (like me) load the package manager, select the mate package, and view the 'installed files' tab. Also, check File > History. For the safety of it I'd also have a paper copy of the apt-get install command for XFCE. In case of emergency all that's needed is a terminal to run it.
I tried your suggestion. The package manager will show installed files only for installed packages. I already uninstalled mate, so no joy (but thanks for the idea anyway).
WoodLark

Re: Removing leftover pieces of Mate in XFCE[SOLVED MOSTLY]

Post by WoodLark »

Kind of by accident...I discovered that I could get rid of most of the leftover bits by:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get autoremove
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

"purge" (or "remove completely"), rather than just "remove", should remove the config files, except those under your home; for those, try (in term):
$ cd
$ find -iname "*ate*"
to find "mate" files to remove (note: you might get some non-mate files, look before deleting).
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Mik3e wrote:If you are a bit obsessive (like me) load the package manager, select the mate package, and view the 'installed files' tab. Also, check File > History.
WoodLark wrote:I tried your suggestion. The package manager will show installed files only for installed packages. I already uninstalled mate, so no joy (but thanks for the idea anyway).
It was suggestions (as in, there were two of them). Did you check Software Manager's history as Mik3e reccomended? IDK about Software Manager because I've found that Synaptic Package Manager suits me (and my needs) much better, but with SPM, when I select the File / History menu option, I have a complete record of everything that I have installed with it; even after I choose to completely remove something, the record of my having installed it is still present (I know because I just tested that). I would assume that any decent package manager would operate the same way (for aid in troubleshooting, if nothing else). If, OtOH, Software Manager does not function in this manner... perhaps you're using the wrong PM, lol. But I'm guessing that it does.

EDIT: I just ran "Software Manager" (mintInstall 7.5.7). I've looked through its menu options and it doesn't even have a History option :lol: :roll: :oops: . No wonder you didn't respond to that part of Mik3e's suggestion. My bad - well, actually, Mint's, apparently - I thought it was a real package manager. You might try running Synaptic Package Manager and checking its history. IDK whether it uses its own log to pull information for history or if there's a standard "package activity" log, but if the latter is the case and IF mintInstall also uses it, maybe you can get the history of what you've installed/updated/removed from Synaptic. And if not... To make things easier in the future, you might want to start using it instead of mintInstall, at least until it starts making more information available like a linux application should. When I ran it just now to look for a history option, it looked to me like an Ubuntu thing (or <COUGH>Windows8™<COUGH>), but that's just my opinion. I did notice that it has the ability to display multiple screenshots, whereas Synaptic Package Manager only displays one - so it does have that going for it (which is good, IMHO). But I can generally find screenshots for apps, either by clicking on the "Visit Homepage" link in the package's description area, or by copying the package's name and pasting it into my web-browser's search box... And the Internet won't tell me what I've installed/removed on my computer (I don't have the proper access credentials to search those servers :roll: ). I also like the ability to filter/sort the packages via the options on the left side of the screen. Anyway, sorry to learn that mintInstall doesn't have a history option; hope you get things straightened out to your satisfaction without having to install Mint XFCE (which would do it, lol, but leave you with a "stock" system).

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

Return to “Xfce”