[CLOSED] Xfce not saving Panel settings

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
benali72
Level 4
Level 4

[CLOSED] Xfce not saving Panel settings

Post by benali72 »

I support several computers running Mint 13 32-bit with Xfce version 4.8.3. All recently developed the problem that they can not save changes to the Xfce panel.

I've done all the usual stuff, and have verified that --

* the Save Sessions box is checked
* there is enough space for / filesystem
* proper permission bits and ownership of home directory portions having to do with sessions and xfce

Since three machines developed this problem simultaneously my guess is that it is not user error.

Anyone aware of this issue, or any possible solutions?

Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
benali72
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Xfce not saving Panel settings

Post by benali72 »

As a test, I did a fresh virgin install of Mint 13 32-bit with Xfce on a new machine. I got the same result, unable to save xfce panel settings, with the current level of system update. I feel this is likely a bug (googling shows that this behavior has popped up once or twice in the past as a bug). I will file this information over at the Xfce forum when I get a chance. It's not a big deal but I want to make sure they are aware of it (or, if I'm wrong and this problem is my own doing, they can tell me how to fix it hopefully). I'll post results back here when I get a resolution. THanks.
benali72
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Xfce not saving Panel settings

Post by benali72 »

I can reproduce this problem at will by installing Mint 13 32-bit w/xfce 4.8.3 on a new computer, then installing all updates to currency.

Also, the problem has showed up on all systems I support as they get the most recent Mint updates.

So I'm pretty sure this is a bug.

The next step would be to capture the xfce sessions log to see if it's failing to do a normal shutdown, which would explain the failure to save the panel updates, and to investigate the nature of this failure.

But I'm too busy for that kind of debugging. It's easier for me to upgrade to Mint 17 32-bit w/ xfce 4.10, which does not have this problem, so that's what I'm doing as my work-around.

I'll mark this thread as [CLOSED] rather than [SOLVED].

Return to “Xfce”