Drive set to automount not appearing in Places Plugin

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Annoyingduck

Drive set to automount not appearing in Places Plugin

Post by Annoyingduck »

I used the Disks utility and changed the automount options on my second hard drive to "off" from "on" - which in turn actually mounts the drive on boot (which still just doesn't make sense to me!!). I now no longer see the hollow icon on my desktop and the drive is correctly mounted on boot. Everything is working fine, it shows in the Places side pane of Thunar, but the Places Plugin now does not show the drive at all. Is there a line that needs to be added to the options in fstab or through the Disks utility in order to have the automounted drive appear in the Plugin? The fact that it shows in the Thunar side pane, but not in the plugin just seems odd to me.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Drive set to automount not appearing in Places Plugin

Post by altair4 »

Side rant: It is my sincere opinion that the best thing Linux could do is the total purge of the Disk utility from all repositories.

Please post the output of the following command:

Code: Select all

cat /etc/fstab
And what the heck, this one too:

sudo blkid -c /dev/null
It's not clear to me if you want this partition to automount or not so please explain.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Annoyingduck

Post by Annoyingduck »

altair4 wrote:Side rant: It is my sincere opinion that the best thing Linux could do is the total purge of the Disk utility from all repositories.

Please post the output of the following command:

cat /etc/fstab
And what the heck, this one too:

sudo blkid -c /dev/null
It's not clear to me if you want this partition to automount or not so please explain.
Ok here's the first code:

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
# / was on /dev/sda2 during installation
UUID=f33ddffe-bf98-4ad6-a3fa-f7ce0ed6a6f5 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
# /boot/efi was on /dev/sda1 during installation
UUID=2958-D88E /boot/efi vfat defaults 0 1
# swap was on /dev/sda3 during installation
UUID=1e57f7fd-4bad-478b-b5b8-de5a12cb80cf none swap sw 0 0
/dev/sdb1 /mnt/sdb1 auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show 0 0

NOTE: The last entry is the drive in question - I chose the option in disks to use sdb1 instead of uuid for simplicity. Even if I choose uuid is still doesn't appear in the places plugin.

And the second (sdb1 - 500 GB storage is the one) code:

/dev/sda1: UUID="D267-8C01" TYPE="vfat"
/dev/sda3: UUID="964469FB4469DF0D" TYPE="ntfs"
/dev/sda4: UUID="5f09cab6-da0d-4b48-8ae8-780e56046624" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/sda5: UUID="2a154adc-bf5f-412f-a936-6ec7475db247" TYPE="swap"
/dev/sdb1: LABEL="500 GB Storage" UUID="56B2E7CBB2E7AE25" TYPE="ntfs"
/dev/sdb2: LABEL="HP_RECOVERY" UUID="94F05AD2F05ABA66" TYPE="ntfs"
/dev/sdb3: LABEL="HP_TOOLS" UUID="B2DF-3AC1" TYPE="vfat"
/dev/sdc1: UUID="2958-D88E" TYPE="vfat"
/dev/sdc2: UUID="f33ddffe-bf98-4ad6-a3fa-f7ce0ed6a6f5" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/sdc3: UUID="1e57f7fd-4bad-478b-b5b8-de5a12cb80cf" TYPE="swap"

NOTE 2: all the other partitions appear as holo icons on the desktop (not mounted), while sdb1 is not holo and fully mounted on boot like I want it to be. It's just missing from the Places Plugin.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

*** You can either change this in fstab:

Create a new mount point:

sudo mkdir /media/sdb1
Then change your fstab entry to this:
/dev/sdb1 /media/sdb1 auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show 0 0
Unmount the partition:

sudo umount /mnt/sdb1
Then remount it with this command:

sudo mount -a
*** OR you can simply create a bookmark to it's current mount point in thunar. Just go to /mnt/sdb1 and in the Location bar at the top of thunar drag the folder icon to the left side panel under Places.

Side note: It may not matter to you but I would mount it this way:

UUID=56B2E7CBB2E7AE25 /media/500-GB-Storage ntfs defaults,nls=utf8,umask=000,uid=1000,windows_names
A modern PC has become so complex that sda, sdb, sdc have become relative terms since depending on temperature, humidity, and sunspot activity what the system sees as sda on one boot it may see as sdb the next. For example:

When you installed Linux the partition you installed it to was sda2:
# / was on /dev/sda2 during installation
UUID=f33ddffe-bf98-4ad6-a3fa-f7ce0ed6a6f5 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
Now it's at sdc2:
/dev/sdc2: UUID="f33ddffe-bf98-4ad6-a3fa-f7ce0ed6a6f5" TYPE="ext4"
That's why we all use UUID's today - although if you keep your wits about you LABEL can also be used.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Annoyingduck

Post by Annoyingduck »

So after I make the mkdir (1st code), how do I add the next step entry into fstab?

Your second option of the bookmark works too, i feel stupid for not thinking of that!! I do like the idea though of having it appear as a drive though, and this is fun stuff to learn. A big thanks again for helping me out.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Just edit fstab with elevated privileges:

gksu gedit /etc/fstab
And change the mount point in the current line.

Replace gedit with your default text editor.
Annoyingduck

Post by Annoyingduck »

Ok, did all that, it worked correctly in changing /mnt/sdb1... to /media/sdb1...rebooted, still no dice on it appearing in the places plugin. I added and removed the plugin to be sure. Is the bookmark going to be the only way to get it to appear in the plugin?
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

It won't show up as sdb1. It will show up as the label ( "500 GB Storage" ).

If it's not there either I can't reproduce your symptoms so the answer is Yes, the bookmark method is the only way.
Annoyingduck

Post by Annoyingduck »

I'm going to play around with a few things here. For now, the bookmark works fine and is easy - just not as elegant. I got enough info here to start messing around with various options to see if I can get this to work. Thanks again.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

You used the term plugin twice. Are you talking about the little itty bitty plugin that sits on the panel?

That will only show Places - literally. When you mount something to /media or your home directory it shows up under Devices in thunar not Places.

If you want a more direct route to the bookmark process edit the file directly:

gedit $HOME/.config/gtk-3.0/bookmarks
The syntax is:
file://<path> label
The "label" is optional.

So in your original mount example:

file:///mnt/sdb1 Storage
If you leave off the label "Storage" it will just show up as the path.
Annoyingduck

Post by Annoyingduck »

Yes the panel plugin. Prior to changing the automount options in Disks, that drive appeared in the Devices category in Thunar and in the Places Plugin on the panel. After setting the drive to actually automount, it disappears from the Places Panel Plugin under "devices", but is still seen in Thunar under "devices" which puzzles me because that entire side pane should be mimicked for the panel plugin . All the other drives/partitions still appear there under devices in the panel plugin. Only when changing a drive to actually mount at boot, it disappears from the panel "places plugin" only...not in the side pane of Thunar....I am stumped.

However, adding a bookmark does work and it can be renamed to whatever. The Bookmark obviously is listed under the "places" pane within the Places Panel Plugin. I originally just wanted the drive to appear as it did before under "devices" where it should be with its own device icon. Choosing to have a drive automount at boot pulls it from listing in the panel plugin ONLY, its still there as it should be in the Thunar side pane under "devices". Sorry to not be clearer on that...

Return to “Xfce”