Xfce desktop interface

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
David Sehengelia

Xfce desktop interface

Post by David Sehengelia »

Hi.Sorry for my bad English. I've installed Mint-Xfce and I thought, that it would have an interface (desktop, panel etc.) like an xfce interface shown on the Xfce website - attachment №1 (ping.1). But it is almost identical to MATE - attachment № 2 (xfc-410-desktop.jpg). How can I switch to the interface of Xfce website - "mouse" and etc. i.e. shown in attachment № 2?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ktheking

Re: Xfce desktop interface

Post by ktheking »

Keywords are 'xfce customisation'.
Here are some of gooogleman's results : https://www.google.be/?gws_rd=ssl#q=xfce+customization
David Sehengelia

Post by David Sehengelia »

Thank you realy very much, ktheking! But... so I have to surf through an internet ...
ktheking

Post by ktheking »

That's my first step usually, solutions from googleman with the right keyword(s)
When still not good , turn to experience of fellow users in forum.
Camillus

Post by Camillus »

I thought it's enough ugly to nobody wan't to see something like this on their screen. :)
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

The lame dead-mouse-on-the-highway wallpaper looks like standard XFCE fare. Type "xfce default wallpaper" (sans quotation marks) into a Google search box, then click on the Images link near the top of the screen. Or right-click on your desktop, select Desktop Settings, and choose one of the images that have names which start with "xfce."

Create a panel, move it to the top of your screen, set it for full width, add the older XFCE menu by right-clicking on your panel, selecting Add New Items, and choosing "Applications Menu." It looks like they also added "Window Buttons" (but it might be the other one) - run a terminal, Thunar, and the Application Finder (press Alt-F3) to make that stuff appear via the Window Buttons panel app - and the clock. You might wish to add a Separator before the clock and expand it in order to ensure that your clock stays on the far-right of your panel.

The bottom of the image appears to portray one of those "dock" apps. Run Synaptic Package Manager, type "dock" (again, sans quotation marks) into its search box, pick whichever one you like, and customize it as you see fit. I don't know anything about dock apps, because I have no use for them. But I think a couple of them are AWN and Docky.

There are many things you can do to customize your desktop, its panel(s), the themes, et cetera if later on you get tired of the "old default stock generic XFCE" look. You can also turn on system sounds (if you want that sort of thing), run Synaptic Package manager and install the xfce4-goodies package (type xfce4-goodies into its search box - or, better yet, type xfce and look through the list), et cetera. Even more things. Get creative, become a "mad scientist," lol.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
scryan

Post by scryan »

Pretty sure that XFCE dock is the standard one. IIRC I did the opposite, trying XFCE on mint and thinking it was OK... Then installed it on Arch and was like "confused is this 80s shit?"

It should all be there, just mess around with pannels and what not. IIRC mate uses the wisker launcher vs the stock XFCE one.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

scryan wrote:Pretty sure that XFCE dock is the standard one.
AfaIK, there is no XFCE dock app. But most standard dock apps will probably work.

Or... Do you mean panel instead of dock?

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

that's the standard xfce setting. simply delete your xfce config then reboot. you'll offered to get the default setting. the panel below is not a dock app. it's just a 2nd panel with auto hide option.
scryan

Post by scryan »

MtnDewManiac wrote:
scryan wrote:Pretty sure that XFCE dock is the standard one.
AfaIK, there is no XFCE dock app. But most standard dock apps will probably work.

Or... Do you mean panel instead of dock?

Regards,
MDM
I mean that "dock" is a panel set to not span the entire screen. Its the default XFCE setup before the Mint team customizes it. If you install XFCE on a distro that does not customize it you will boot to that exact setup.

Return to “Xfce”