Presentation mode in Xfce Power Manager

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
H.Remedy

Presentation mode in Xfce Power Manager

Post by H.Remedy »

Xfce's Power Manager can place an icon in the notification area. One of the options in that icon's menu is to change modes between "normal" and "presentation". But I cannot see any way to program the behaviour of these two modes. There is nothing related to them in the settings. Is there a way I can program them?

I was looking around the internet and found reference to an xfconf-query command in terminal. Perhaps the settings I'm looking for are there hidden and can be changed with this? Not sure how...

As always, thanks in advance for any help!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Buzzsaw
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Presentation mode in Xfce Power Manager

Post by Buzzsaw »

'Normal mode' configuration is done in the power settings, as normal. I assume that 'presentation mode' simply disables power-saving features, such as the screen going blank. I don't see any reason why this would be configurable, since if you're using the computer for a presentation, you would always want to prevent the screen from going blank or switching off. What would you expect to configure?
H.Remedy

Post by H.Remedy »

Actually, I would ideally like to be able to create new profiles beyond the two defaults. (Is there a way to do this?) I was asking about normal and presentation modes because I can't see a way to create other profiles, so the next best thing would be to edit the existing profiles.

I can see situations where different presentation modes would be useful. e.g. if I plug my computer into the TV to play a movie, I would like the screen to turn off in a very short time. There are a couple of other scenarios I could think of...
Buzzsaw
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Buzzsaw »

I think presentation mode is only an on or off thing. What you want is a general means to configure different power schemes.

You might want to look at:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerManagement
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Power ... ducedPower
H.Remedy

Post by H.Remedy »

Thanks Buzzsaw, that's some interesting reading. I guess there's no nice GUI approach to this stuff. That's ok, I grew up in the DOS days, so terminal doesn't intimidate me. :lol:

Return to “Xfce”