dual monitors and extended display MInt 17

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
clair

dual monitors and extended display MInt 17

Post by clair »

I've just moved from Mint 15 LXDE to 17 XFCE and am seriously regretting it.

Xandr worked fine in Mint 15 (also grandr - though one had to use the terminal). However, Synaptic doesn't find either of these packages so I am at a loss. 17 is installed with the exact same computer and monitors as I used for 15.

Both monitors work, of course, but the same content shows on both. I want the desktop extended across both as I had it in 15.

If anyone has been able to do this, I would appreciate the name of the program that can accomplish it. If it can't be done, I'm afraid this will be the end of my love affair with Mint.

Thanks much.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Re: dual monitors and extended display MInt 17

Post by roblm »

The xrandr program should already be installed on your Mint 17 Xfce system, and it's more user friendly interface, named arandr, is
also available for installation in Synaptic. I just checked this on my Mint 17 Xfce system.
gold_finger

Post by gold_finger »

Dual monitors should be easier to setup in Mint 17 then they were in Mint 15. Can do from both Display and Desktop categories in Settings Manager. See here for detailed instructions: Dual-Monitor Setup Instructions. Instructions are for a different Xfce-based distro, but same steps apply to Mint 17 Xfce.
clair

Post by clair »

Hi Robyn - goldfinger (excuse sp. can't see your names now!)

When I enter xrandr in pkg manager nothing showed. Same for grandr. Thus my question.

goldfinger's link worked like a charm -- though I must say, it was a lot of steps to go through and NOT intuitive.

FYI -- since I asked my question, I installed Fedora 20 LXDE and it AUTOMAGICALLY spread across my monitors. I did nothing!!

I'm back here because when I attempted a wine install on the Fedora it removed access to the desktop! And, startx would not execute. End of story.

Thank you both for helping.

Cheers,
Clair

now off to install printers etc.
gold_finger

Post by gold_finger »

Glad it worked out and I agree it's not the most intuitive process, but it works.

Please go to your first post, click "Edit", then add "Solved" to the title to make it easier for others with same problem to find a solution quickly.

Return to “Xfce”