xfce4-weather

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Loup8363

xfce4-weather

Post by Loup8363 »

Hi all. I just installed mint 17 xfce. Added some "widget" that work's fine. But the weather one keep on not working ( no data available). Verified several forums as well as the xfce site. I'm using version 0.8.3. of xfce4-weather. And i have this "xfce weather widget" working on other machine using Manjaro :shock: . Please help. Have a good one.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Annoyingduck

Re: xfce4-weather

Post by Annoyingduck »

This is easy. Remove the plugin from your panel. Go here: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xf ... her-plugin and install the utopic unicorn 0.8.3.2 deb package for your system then re-add the plugin. The old version is not working any more, and the mint repositories haven't updated it yet.
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

Thanks AnnoyingDuck.
http://launchpadlibrarian.net/186737755 ... _amd64.deb

Download, save > terminal

Code: Select all

cd Downloads
sudo dpkg -i xfce4-weather-plugin_0.8.3-2_amd64.deb 
(Reading database ... 165286 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack xfce4-weather-plugin_0.8.3-2_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking xfce4-weather-plugin (0.8.3-2) over (0.8.3-1) ...
Setting up xfce4-weather-plugin (0.8.3-2) ...
Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme (0.13-1) ...
pick location, refresh.

Done.
Annoyingduck

Re: Re: xfce4-weather

Post by Annoyingduck »

Habitual wrote:Thanks AnnoyingDuck.
http://launchpadlibrarian.net/186737755 ... _amd64.deb

Download, save > terminal

cd Downloads
sudo dpkg -i xfce4-weather-plugin_0.8.3-2_amd64.deb 
(Reading database ... 165286 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack xfce4-weather-plugin_0.8.3-2_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking xfce4-weather-plugin (0.8.3-2) over (0.8.3-1) ...
Setting up xfce4-weather-plugin (0.8.3-2) ...
Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme (0.13-1) ...
pick location, refresh.

Done.
Yup, or just double click the deb package.... No need to reset the plug-in either, just remove it from your panel before you install the updated one. Then just add it to your panel again.
ifconfig
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ifconfig »

Thank you, now it works for me to. I had the same problem. This weather program is the best that i know. i am happy that it works again.
Habitual

Re: Re: xfce4-weather

Post by Habitual »

Annoyingduck wrote:Yup, or just double click the deb package.... No need to reset the plug-in either, just remove it from your panel before you install the updated one. Then just add it to your panel again.
Oh, you're one of "those"? ;)
Annoyingduck

Re: Re: Re: xfce4-weather

Post by Annoyingduck »

Habitual wrote:
Annoyingduck wrote:Yup, or just double click the deb package.... No need to reset the plug-in either, just remove it from your panel before you install the updated one. Then just add it to your panel again.
Ha... Many are at some point, it takes some learning for us newer users! I'm proud that I just got my brother printer set up via terminal!
Just wanted to clarify the "easy" method for less seasoned users.
grungy_me
Level 3
Level 3

Post by grungy_me »

@Annoyingduck

Thank you. This worked for me. I wondered why this plugin had suddenly stopped working. I hope the LinuxMint developers update this in their repositories. One note to make though, it was not obvious to me on the link given where the .deb file was. It took me an embarrassing amount of time to realize I had to click on the link under the line "Binary packages built by this source" and choose the 0.8.3-2 version for my CPU architecture. Hope this makes life a little easier for other folks with this problem. :)
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

xfce4-weather-plugin 0.8.4 Has Been Released

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Habitual wrote:
I certainly am, lol. I even use a cordless drill/driver instead of an old-fashioned manual screwdriver. Why, shucks, have you heard the latest news? They went and took the hand cranks out of the front of those doggone horseless carriages, you have to turn a key now - but, gee, it sure is nice to use. LOL.

Nothing wrong with not attending the Linux Terminals 101 class, especially when one is using a distro that is well-thought and put together nicely, such as Mint. I'll run a terminal if it makes my task simpler or quicker to finish - such as when I want to use one command to run simpleHTTPserver and download files wirelessly from my laptop to either my phone or a "guest computer" (made even simpler because I can hit the up-arrow a couple of times to see the command instead of typing it), to enter a command that I seem to need on those rare occasions when I want to output sound to the el-cheapo (but worth the money) Bluetooth speaker I purchased at Odd Lots because I've been too lazy to figure out how to put the command in my startup whatchamacallit, occasionally (flip a coin) to add a new PPA to my sources list, and, err... when I used it to Telnet into that server that has an "ASCII-video" stream of Starwars, to see how it looked (very neat, actually). Other than that, once in a blue moon I'll have an issue and someone is kind enough to post a solution that requires copying and pasting into a terminal.

When I first saw a GUI on a Commodore 64, I didn't have a use for it because it didn't provide any benefit to me. Now the (modern) GUI does.

Oh, almost forgot (mandatory on-topic content :wink: ):
Harald Judt wrote:xfce4-weather-plugin 0.8.4 is now available for download from

http://archive.xfce.org/src/panel-plugins/xfce4-weather-plugin/0.8/xfce4-weather-plugin-0.8.4.tar.bz2
http://archive.xfce.org/src/panel-plugins/xfce4-weather-plugin/0.8/xfce4-weather-plugin-0.8.4.tar.bz2.md5
http://archive.xfce.org/src/panel-plugins/xfce4-weather-plugin/0.8/xfce4-weather-plugin-0.8.4.tar.bz2.sha1
http://archive.xfce.org/src/panel-plugins/xfce4-weather-plugin/0.8/xfce4-weather-plugin-0.8.4.tar.bz2.sha256

What is xfce4-weather-plugin?
=============================

A weather plugin for the Xfce desktop environment

http://goodies.xfce.org/projects/panel-plugins/xfce4-weather-plugin

Release notes for 0.8.4
=======================
This release is a stable, bug-fix release, but it also contains a few
new features, see the detailed change log below. Note that 0.8 is now in
maintenance mode, which means no new features will be added, and it will
only receive bug fixes and API updates (as long as feasible and not
requiring a complete rewrite). A new version 0.9 will eventually appear,
similar to the existing plugin but with more exciting features and
improvements, using openweathermap as weather provider and gtk3, but
development has not even started yet.

Many thanks to Eric Koegel, Issa and Greg Dietsche for contributing
patches, to various people helping with testing and to the many people
spending a lot of work translating the plugin into your local language.

Enjoy!

Detailed release notes
======================
- Improve UI feedback when resetting weather data
- Show API deprecation warnings in the details tab of the summary
window instead of the standard output
- Support upower-0.99 (bug #10922)
- Use locationforecastLTS-1.2 API (bug #10916)
- Add code to handle proxy authentication (bug #10820)
- Remove code dealing with laptop lid open/close (bug #10330)
- Show astrodata in forecast day header tooltip in summary window
- Fetch and cache astronomical data for multiple days
- Add a button for opening/creating the user icon themes directory in
the config dialog
- Sort icon themes by path names (user themes are listed first)
- Correct spelling of precipitation (bug #9938)
- Context menu: Resolve mnemonic conflict for Refresh and Remove
(bug #9911)
- Summary window: Fix clock not updating properly (bug #9933)
- Fix wind direction translation (bug #9895)
- Make using only a single row the default setting
- Better handle single row and icon size in various panel modes
- Fix text color not being remembered over restarts
- Build system cleanups and dependency bumps
- Many translation updates
Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

Return to “Xfce”