Black Screen with Cursor after Login Mint 14 Nadia XFCE

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ironchroni

Black Screen with Cursor after Login Mint 14 Nadia XFCE

Post by ironchroni »

After recent updates, logging in on a reboot presents a black screen, in which I can move my mouse cursor. Thats about it.

I have done a lot of googling and it appears that there is a variety of this issue, in my case specifically startx works.

If I Cntrl+Alt+F# to a different tty , login, and run startx, everything loads up fine.

I have tried re-installing mgm, I do not have infinality fonts, rebuilding xorg.conf in /etc/X11 thinking it may have been an nvidia issue. But all of those do not appear to be the case. Updating didn't fix anything either, but I do believe that the updates had something to do with this. I get the login screen for mint after a boot. Once I login, its just black everything with active cursor. All I am left with then is to either bounce the box or tty option.

I am at a loss at what I can do further to diagnose the issue. The problem appears to be with initializing my session after login.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Black Screen with Cursor after Login Mint 14 Nadia XFCE

Post by xenopeek »

Have you tried creating a new user account, and logging in with that? It may be something between the updates and your current user's preferences are conflicting somehow. It would be useful to confirm it's an issue for a newly created user also, or not.

Side note; Linux Mint 14 has reached end of support so I hope you are making plans to install Linux Mint 17: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=173378

Return to “Xfce”