Mint 17 xfce themes problems [Solved]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Lukasz_Cholewa

Mint 17 xfce themes problems [Solved]

Post by Lukasz_Cholewa »

Hi! I have problem installing themes.

I downloaded theme in *.tar.gz form. I dragged and dropped it to the settings - appaerence - style tab. Nothing happend.
I unzipped it and copied to ~/.themes folder. Still no theme listed on style tab.
I did the same with /usr/share/themes folder. Still no theme on the list.

I tried it with different themes, but no effect.
Does anyone has any idea what to do next?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Habitual

Re: Mint 17 xfce themes problems

Post by Habitual »

When you extracted it to ~/.themes, is it same name as an existing theme on the system?

I download Graybird to ~/.themes, and I named it Graybird2 since Graybird existed on my system already, and it showed up as Graybird2

You could try renaming ~/.themes/theme_name to ~/.themes/MyTheme or something distinct and check again.
Lukasz_Cholewa

Post by Lukasz_Cholewa »

Thanks for the answer. I already found out what my problem was. Apparently there are two ways to change the look of the system. (1) Settings-Appearance-Style and (2) Window Manager-Theme. If a "theme" downloaded from internet has Gtk-2.0 folder, it will appear in (1), and if it has xfwm folder, it will appear in (2). Of course, if it has both folders, it will appear in both places. Naturally changes in "styles" are of a different nature than changes of "theme". But it took me a while to figure it out.

Now all I need to do is to mark the topic as [solved]!
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

Lukasz_Cholewa wrote:Now all I need to do is to mark the topic as [solved]!
Edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the subject.

Glad it worked out.

Return to “Xfce”