Ctrl+Alt+Del for LM XFCE

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Seamus D.

Ctrl+Alt+Del for LM XFCE

Post by Seamus D. »

Hi everybody! It has been a bit since I've been on the forum.
Hope everyone is enjoying LM17 XFCE edition. For the most part it's good on my end, not perfect though (I still can't adjust brightness settings on my laptop). :-(
My LM17 XFCE Desktop Tower rig seems to be functioning great though.

Anyway, I noticed something occuring intermittently while using Firefox: I'll have an open browser window, sometimes one to three tabs already open, I proceed to open another tab to a site (can be from a bookmark or an embedded link in a page I'm reading), then zap! My Laptop locks up, mouse pointer control is gone. I believe most, if not all key functionality is lost too. The laptop fan RPM kicks into high gear (hardware/software is trying to cope with increased CPU usage due to scripts running from a site?)
I let my laptop sit for at least a few minutes to see if it catches up, but it does not. The only thing I can do is press and hold the power button to shutdown.
Among the reasons why this is happening, I am wondering what is the Linux Mint XFCE "Ctrl+Alt+Del" equivlent.

Is it Ctrl+Alt+Esc? Do I have to keep Task Manager open all the time for now? As you can all tell, I'm lost here...
Can anyone please help?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Ctrl+Alt+Del for LM XFCE

Post by Pierre »

some of them have been "nobbled"

- cntrl - alt - backspace
often works, to reset 'X' - brings you back to your log_in screen

R.E.S.I.U.B - there are a few variations on the format AKA the order
( google: raising skinny elephants )
- hold the right alt & print screen & press them in order

there are some others as well.

Btw: avoid mashing the power switch - as much as possible - there should be a better way.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Serendipity

Post by Serendipity »

Pressing ctrl-alt-and one of the F keys (F1 through F-6) will get you to a new tty. Log in and then "sudo reboot".
Toimu

Post by Toimu »

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

No, that is not all the options. Mint 17 has a new shutdown option:
Ctrl-Alt-End
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Seamus D. wrote: (I still can't adjust brightness settings on my laptop). :-(
For the brightness, try this:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... adjustable
(item 5, left column)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Seamus D.

Post by Seamus D. »

Much thanks for the replies.
The system freeze issue has not happened since I posted but if it does, it's good to know what I can do.
Shutting down via the power button has always bothered me, like everyone else I imagine.
...Just had flashbacks from the '80's and on using MS Windows. Hey, anyone remember all the fun to be had with B.S.O.D.?!? :shock:

re: Screen Brightness adjustment (or lack thereof). Thanks Pjotr. I've tried it to no avail. Still trying to find a solution.

Return to “Xfce”