Change user image in Mint XFCE 17?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Change user image in Mint XFCE 17?

Post by kmb42vt »

There appears to be no way to change the user image (display picture, avatar, login user image, etc) in Linux Mint 17/XFCE. I'm an old hand at Linux Mint and I'm surprised I can't find it. In the Cinnamon desktop it's easy to do using "Account settings". In XFCE it should also be easy using "Users and Groups" but the generic user "icon" next to my username is not clickable. Going into "Advance settings", which requires my password to do so, still does not allow me to change my user image. Starting "users-admin" (Users and Groups) as root shows no users at all.

The old trick of saving a 100x100 px image as [some name].face in the ~/ directory no longer works either and typing "mdmphotosetup" in the terminal shows command not found (since Mint 16).

Bringing up "Users and Groups" in XFCE used to require a password before the application came up. Now the app just comes up calling for a password.

So, is there a GUI or any way to change my user image for my user account and MDM login screen or am I stuck with the generic "nobody" in Mint/XFCE 17?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Change user image in Mint XFCE 17?

Post by karlchen »

Hello, kmb42vt.
There appears to be no way to change the user image (display picture, avatar, login user image, etc) in Linux Mint 17/XFCE.
I have just tried it on my Linux Mint 17 32-bit xfce 4.11.6.

Code: Select all

$ inxi -Sx
System:    Host: unimatrix0 Kernel: 3.13.0-34-generic i686 (32 bit, gcc: 4.8.2) 
           Desktop: Xfce 4.11.6 (Gtk 2.24.23) Distro: Linux Mint 17 Qiana
I confirm that I have not found a configuration GUI on xfce which allows me to select a different avatar.
Yet, the manual way works perfectly here.
Commandline to change the image file:

cp /usr/share/pixmaps/faces/t9foxy_trans.png ~/.face
Replace t9foxy_trans.png by the file of your choice.
Gnome users-admin, simply invoked from the Mint Menu => System, will reflect the change. Of course, if users-admin has already been launched when I change the avatar it will not update its display.
So first change the image, then launch users-admin.

Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

karlchen wrote:Hello, kmb42vt.
There appears to be no way to change the user image (display picture, avatar, login user image, etc) in Linux Mint 17/XFCE.
I have just tried it on my Linux Mint 17 32-bit xfce 4.11.6.

$ inxi -Sx
System:    Host: unimatrix0 Kernel: 3.13.0-34-generic i686 (32 bit, gcc: 4.8.2) 
           Desktop: Xfce 4.11.6 (Gtk 2.24.23) Distro: Linux Mint 17 Qiana
I confirm that I have not found a configuration GUI on xfce which allows me to select a different avatar.
Yet, the manual way works perfectly here.
Commandline to change the image file:

Gnome users-admin, simply invoked from the Mint Menu => System, will reflect the change. Of course, if users-admin has already been launched when I change the avatar it will not update its display.

Kind regards,
Karl
Thanks Karl, I'll give it a try when I get back on my laptop. Very strange that Mint would overlook a simple GUI for changing a user image in XFCE when the other 3 editions have them. Perhaps I'll file a bug report/request.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
RML

[SOLVED] Re: Change user image in Mint XFCE 17?

Post by RML »

In Mint 17.1 Cinnamon anyway, to add a selfie of yourself for the login screen:
  • - In panel (mine's in the traditional location at the bottom), right click, select "Add applets to the panel"
    - Select "User applet", click "+ Add to panel"
    - Left-click this applet from the panel, select "Account Details"
    - Click on the picture placeholder
    - Click "Take a photo..." which results in the image file Home/.face used by the current logged in account
Note this last option is not present in "Administration", "Users and Groups", (click on account), (click on picture) but it should be
Bribhoy

Post by Bribhoy »

Hi, the easy way to get your user image in xfce 17. I'm using 17.3 so can't remember if it works on earlier version. Menu>all>About me. if you put you picture in mugshot that's you sorted. Picture is on screen next time you log-in. :)
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

karlchen wrote: Commandline to change the image file:

Kind regards,
Karl

cp /home/jj/Pictures/dork.png ~/.face # 100x100
users-admin
Nice and succinct.
Thanks!

Return to “Xfce”