Nemo, Cinnamon and Keyring Password

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
iainrs
Level 2
Level 2

Nemo, Cinnamon and Keyring Password

Post by iainrs »

I am running Linux Mint 17 XFCE

A few days ago I was looking to set some folders as shareable and thought (mistakenly) that it might be easier to install nemo and use the right click option (not available, by default, in Thunar)
Nemo was installed and I switched off before trying to use it.
Next morning my system came up with an alien desktop and a message saying that some cinnamon folders were missing, XFCE was nowhere to be found.
I eventually managed to re-instate XFCE and un-installed nemo.
However since then when I try to run Chrome (for example)I keep getting a dialogue box appearing asking for "Enter keyword for 'default' keyring to unlock".
I have no memory of setting up this password and it doesn't take my standard password.
As a result it has 'forgotten' all my standard login names and passwords and I have to enter them each time.

How do I
a. restore my original system with no 'keyring' which remembered login names and passwords ?
or
b. Find or Reset the keyring password (not knowing what the current value is) and then in future use the keyring ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cogier
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Nemo, Cinnamon and Keyring Password

Post by cogier »

I bumped into this problem as well. You install what you think is Nemo and you end up with the complete "alien" Cinnamon desktop. You say you managed to "re-instate" XFCE but you don't say how. As you had Cinnamon now installed did you log out and then select XFCE or have you re-installed XFCE?

The simple answer is to re-install everything but if this is too much you need to make sure you uninstall all of the Cinnamon Desktop. Try installing Nautilus which will do what you want regarding sharing without all the unnessary extras.

I can't answer your keyring questions but hope that by understanding what happened it will help you. You can also look here http://askubuntu.com/questions/184266/w ... -rid-of-it for help.
iainrs
Level 2
Level 2

Post by iainrs »

I logged out (eventually - I'm not quite sure how) and reselected XFCE.

'ps' gives me "/usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon" running

The article from askubuntu is informative but my problem with the keyring is that it is not accepting my 'login password'.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Open Passwords and Keys from the Menu > Preferences, select View > By Keyring.
Right click the Default (locked), and delete it.
Next time you open Chrome, you will be asked for a new Keyring password. Just leave it blank, and accept the unsecure message.
Now it will not ask for a Keyring password when you open Chrome, after that.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

Return to “Xfce”