Mint 17 XFCE - Remembering windows postioning & size

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ineedhelpplease

Mint 17 XFCE - Remembering windows postioning & size

Post by Ineedhelpplease »

:?: I just recently installed Linux Mint 17 XFCE. It is very frustrating having to manually reposition and resize windows. How do I, or can I, make Mint 17 XFCE remember the last window position and size? Although not related here, I want to do the same thing with Xubuntu 14.04 XFCE. :wink:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hobbes2

Re: Mint 17 XFCE - Remembering windows postioning & size

Post by Hobbes2 »

Hi

Don't know about remembering the last window position and size (i.e. when the parameters are changed within a given session), but I use 'Devilspie' to have windows open to the same defined size and position at Start-up.

But if they are re-sized during a session they will always return to the original user-defined setting upon restart (or logout/login).

Not sure if that's what you meant/wanted?

I'm using Cinnamon by the way, but am guessing it would work the same in Xfce.

'Devilspie' is in the repos.

Regards
Ineedhelpplease

I'm not sure if I want "devilspie". It is available in the Software Center for download/install. I really would like to see a configuration option to be able to "remember last windows position" and "remember last window size". This could be added to the Settings Manager and/or in CCSM or any other viable configuration tool for Mint and Xubuntu. I have both OSs right now; each on their own HDD.
shengchieh

Post by shengchieh »

I do not know how to save the last position, but I can specify the first position for terminal. I.e.,

xfce4-terminal --geometry 100x50

(I like big terminal window).

It is not the last size, but if you always want a certain size to start with, mess around with

--geometry 100x50 (or what dimension you want)

option for other softwares and see if you can get those commands into the menu.

Sheng-Chieh
Ineedhelpplease

As for the Terminal window sizing and such, I have done my own changes; no problem. What I am getting at is to have any window, whether an application or othewise, when opened and the respective window has been resized and/or repositioned, to keep those settings until I change them.

But anyway, let's see what happens down the road.
HoppityBob

Post by HoppityBob »

This is what absolutely drives me nuts with desktops, the only one I've found that handles it is Kde so that's what I have to run. Probably no help if you otherwise like xfce though.

Return to “Xfce”