xfce 17 workspaces & icons

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
crassius

xfce 17 workspaces & icons

Post by crassius »

In xfce 17 can workspaces be tiled onscreen & can each have its own icons?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
BBistheKing

Re: xfce 17 workspaces & icons

Post by BBistheKing »

not sure if this is what you're referring to, but something like this?

http://www.webupd8.org/2014/07/xfdashbo ... buntu.html
crassius

Post by crassius »

I'll take a look at that, thanx.

what I want is to have some icons reside on only one desktop, while others reside on other desktops - what is happening now is that placing an icon on the desktop makes it show up on all desktops

I doubt I'll ever be comfortable with the 'Whisker Menu'.
dollyp
Level 3
Level 3

Post by dollyp »

crassius wrote:I doubt I'll ever be comfortable with the 'Whisker Menu'.
You can remove Whisker menu and add Applications menu onto the panel to get back to an 'old-style' menu.

David
crassius

Post by crassius »

will look at diff options there as this gets closer to done, but doubt I'll like any of the ones I've seen so far
JohnBobSmith

Post by JohnBobSmith »

Hello. I am running XFCE 17, and am interested in getting this working. I found a thread regarding have different icons in gnome, but have yet to get it working in XFCE. If I understand the problem correctly, you want to have different desktop icons in each workspace. I am currently doing so research on the matter, and will post back with my results once I get closer to finding a solution. :)
crassius

Post by crassius »

thanx, that sounds good - I'm hoping to almost eliminate that menu by having all my usual progs on one or the other of the desktops
JohnBobSmith

Post by JohnBobSmith »

Hello, I am having trouble finding a solution to this problem. Just thought I would share what I found, in hopes that someone with more knowledge than I will be able to build on this.

I found an article, with proof that it is possible in gnome. LINK. However, AFAIK, xfce is not gnome (and quite frankly, better not have anything to do with gnome) and thus I have yet to find a solution. It looks simple, I'm probably just missing something obvious. The article is partially in spanish, which is fine, though it makes it harder for me to read.

Compiz may be able to do what you want. However, I have *no* experience with compiz, but I downloaded it anyway. It looks like you can change the wallpaper in each workspace with compiz, will need to look into this some more...

All in all, I'm guessing if one can somehow fake multiple desktops outside of the workspace that might do the trick. The idea of workspaces is kind of confusing-ish for me at this point. :lol: I will persist though. I'm learning lots, and hope to have a solution soon! :)
cheesbeen

Post by cheesbeen »

Looks like True Virtual Desktops are possible in KDE. See http://www.datamation.com/open-source/s ... ops-1.html
However, the article says that implementation is not very well documented.

btw. PCLinuxOS - FullMonty has this implemented out-of-the-box with 6 desktops. http://www.pclinuxos.com/get-pclinuxos/ ... y-desktop/

Return to “Xfce”