Change desktop icon labels color in Linux Mint XFCE 17

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
champan

Change desktop icon labels color in Linux Mint XFCE 17

Post by champan »

Hey there! I've been trying to change the color of my desktop icons font by editing .gtkrc-2.0 and .gtkrc-xfce files and despite the fact that I can change the shadow color I cannot get to change the foreground text color. I would appreciate it if anyone could lend me a helping hand on this matter! Thanks in advance, people!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
caribriz

Re: Change desktop icon labels color in Linux Mint XFCE 17

Post by caribriz »

Hi champan - welcome to the Linux Mint forums :)

Hopefully this thread may give some hints:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 14#p898480
champan

Post by champan »

caribriz wrote:Hi champan - welcome to the Linux Mint forums :)

Hopefully this thread may give some hints:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 14#p898480
Well, I think I now know what my problem was. I've trying to edit .gtkrc-2.0 fruitlessly, but I think it's a Numix thing, because when I choose another gtk theme, I can change the font color. Thanks, bro!
caribriz

Post by caribriz »

champan wrote:Well, I think I now know what my problem was. I've trying to edit .gtkrc-2.0 fruitlessly, but I think it's a Numix thing, because when I choose another gtk theme, I can change the font color.
I think I found what the problem was with Numix - if you still wanted to use that theme and change the desktop icon text color.

The difference between the themes that worked with your .gtkrc-2.0 edit (like Mint-X) and Numix - is that Numix's theme has included it's own
section relating to the desktop icon color - style "xfdesktop-icon-view" which has its foreground text color set as white - in Numix > gtk-2.0 > gtkrc

The other themes don't have this section in their gtkrc files.

I think the reason why the shadow color changed (for Numix) when you edited .gtkrc-2.0 is because Numix doesn't have a "shadow" section, within the xfdesktop-icon-view section of its gtkrc file. So that bit did work.

So, if you want the same desktop icon text color used with any other themes, eg. Mint-X, you can leave the .gtkrc-2.0 file there as is with the edits
you already made - this would retain the shadow color edit that worked with Numix

....but if you want the same desktop icon foreground text color when using Numix, you also have to edit its gtkrc file as well.

The Numix theme folder may be located in /usr/share/themes or /home/username/.themes.

I made a backup of the gtkrc file before editing it :wink:

Open Numix > gtk-2.0 > gtkrc and find the section
style "xfdesktop-icon-view" (approx line 511)

Change the line

Code: Select all

fg[NORMAL] = @selected_fg_color
to, for an example - blue

Code: Select all

fg[NORMAL] = "#1E90FF"
Save the file
Choose Numix in Appearance Preferences

Return to “Xfce”