Whisker menu keyboard shortcut in Mint 17

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
adf2000

Whisker menu keyboard shortcut in Mint 17

Post by adf2000 »

Hello. In Mint 17 I was able to cycle through the sections and upper buttons of the Whisker menu with the TAB key. In Mint 17 it doesn't work, I have to use the mouse. Can you confirm that the TAB key function has been removed? Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Whisker menu keyboard shortcut in Mint 17

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Yeah, that Whisker menu is a total scew-up for keyboard users, but it's easy to fix. Just add "Applications Menu" to a panel. It defaults to Alt-F1 to open, and you can navigate it properly with the keyboard.

Incidentally, I'm left wondering why they bothered to add a keyboard-shortcut to open Whisker when the user needs a mouse to use it. Schizophrenia in action?

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
adf2000

Post by adf2000 »

I partially solved setting a shortcut key for the session logout function so I don't need to click the corresponding button.
Pogo1

Post by Pogo1 »

MtnDewManiac wrote:Yeah, that Whisker menu is a total scew-up for keyboard users, but it's easy to fix. Just add "Applications Menu" to a panel. It defaults to Alt-F1 to open, and you can navigate it properly with the keyboard.

Incidentally, I'm left wondering why they bothered to add a keyboard-shortcut to open Whisker when the user needs a mouse to use it. Schizophrenia in action?

Regards,
MDM
It seems to have its problems, but it is one thing that attracts me back here on my distro hopping. With the ppa fix to get the categories on the left where they belong, it works ok for me.

I would like to see some attention paid to the menu editing, and would even lend my copious spare time and meagre python ability to making it better if asked.

Pogo.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

That's real nice of you. All right, I'm asking, would you help whoever dreamed the thing up one morning after too much rice wine the night before to UNscrew it up? Please? In addition to removing the unusability for keyboard users, I'd take it as a personal favor if you'd fix it so it doesn't look like a KDE desktop menu as, I'm sure, would the many people who fled Microsoft Windows because they got tied of menus that looked like that. Please?

(Much and sincere) thanks in advance,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

Return to “Xfce”