SMB disconnection issue...

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
themacmeister

SMB disconnection issue...

Post by themacmeister »

I have a direct computer-to-computer connection using manual IP addresses.

eg. Computer1 - IP: 192.168.0.5
Computer2 - IP: 192.168.0.10

Both have netmask 255.255.255.0, and both have gateway set to the other IP address. DNS is same computer,other computers IP address.

Both have workgroup set as WORKGROUP.

This works perfectly with Windows machines (XP/Vista/7) to other Windows machines.

It does not work well with Mint 17 XFCE to Windows. There is a VERY long pause in populating //Network

Also, after connecting manually to the IP address (smb://192.168.0.x) if I leave the connection idle, it comes up with a message like: "Your connection was reset by a software change" or something similar. It used to be a generic disconnection message and a long timeout until I could eject/remount the share -- but now it is a much shorter timeout.

I made some changes to smb.conf, because the default in Mint 17 XFCE was BROKEN BEYOND RECOVERY!!!

If anyone has some pointers, or a perfectly working smb.conf which doesn't time out between Windows/Linux shares, please let me have it.

I will gladly supply any logs you require, just give me the commands (within reason) :)

Cheers
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: SMB disconnection issue...

Post by altair4 »

I don't think I can help you as I've never done what you are doing but I am rather curious about this statement:
I made some changes to smb.conf, because the default in Mint 17 XFCE was BROKEN BEYOND RECOVERY!!!
Would you mind posting the output of the following command:

Code: Select all

testparm -s
That's assuming the "testparm" command still functions after your changes.

My smb.conf functions just fine without the connection disconnect but it looks like the default you state is broken so I don't think that will be of much use to you.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
themacmeister

Post by themacmeister »

bedtime here, will post the results of that shortly.

I found some very very good sites with manual and webmin setup instructions, most of which I had disregarded, thinking everything would "just work" with latest Linux XFCE Mint :(

some fantastic info here: woodel.com

I will post that info tomorrow, along with whatever else I can glean from the system (it is an HP Pavilion G6 laptop - 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD).

Many thanks.
themacmeister

Post by themacmeister »

Dang, I knew it was bad (I used Gigolo, which probably borked my smb.conf file), but I never knew it was THIS bad...

craig@Laptop ~ $ testparm -s
Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
rlimit_max: increasing rlimit_max (1024) to minimum Windows limit (16384)
Unknown parameter encountered: "SO_RCVBUF"
Ignoring unknown parameter "SO_RCVBUF"
Processing section "[homes]"
Processing section "[printers]"
Processing section "[print$]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE
[global]
	server string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)
	map to guest = Bad User
	obey pam restrictions = Yes
	pam password change = Yes
	passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
	passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
	unix password sync = Yes
	syslog = 0
	log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
	max log size = 1000
	dns proxy = No
	usershare allow guests = Yes
	panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d
	winbind enum users = Yes
	winbind enum groups = Yes
	idmap config * : backend = tdb

[homes]
	comment = Home Directories
	read only = No
	directory mask = 0775
	browseable = No

[printers]
	comment = All Printers
	path = /var/spool/samba
	create mask = 0700
	printable = Yes
	print ok = Yes
	browseable = No

[print$]
	comment = Printer Drivers
	path = /var/lib/samba/printers
Any thoughts or advice would be helpful. All I want is reliable access to Win7/Mac/WDTVLive servers. I am not planning on sharing anything the other way.

A prefixed smb.conf file would be just as well received for testing purposes. Preferably from Mint 16 or before. There seemed to be a bug/regression in smb.conf and SAMBA 4 on 14.04.

Many thanks again.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Just a reminder from my original post: I've never used samba the way you are with a direct connection between machines.

Except for the winbind references which would only apply to a machine in a Windows Active Directory domain that appears to be the default smb.conf for Samba4. About the only change I usually make ( and this would have applied to Samba3 as well ) would be a change to the "name resolve order" to place bcast first in a home network but that doesn't apply to your case since you are accessing by ip address not by host / nebios name.

I could give you my working smb.conf but you would be disappointed as it pretty much looks identical to yours.

You might want to explore a different protocol like ssh or ftp or even an http server.

Since you mentioned a Mac it would be an interesting experiment to utilize the built in use of mDNS that's available on both machines and access the Mac that way to see if these disconnects occur:

thunar smb://hostname.local/share-name
Replace "hostname" with the actual host name of the mac and don't forget the ".local" at the end.

Based on my understanding of the mDNS protocol it should work with directly connected machines.

Side note:
I used Gigolo, which probably borked my smb.conf file
Gigolo is a client application and indirectly reads the contents of smb.conf but doesn't in any way write to it.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
themacmeister

Post by themacmeister »

I installed webmin and made some changes, mainly a keepalive value of 240 seconds. This was not enough, and the connection still gets reset, sometimes during file transfers :(

I did change the order and have bcast first in the list - that is the first change I tried.

Also, I get different messages whether I am using Thunar or PCman -- Thunar says "Software caused a connection reset" or something equally stupid.

It takes about 5 seconds for the share to respond, then I can eject it immediately (as it no longer works), and immediately reconnect.

I'm just wondering if I would have more luck with the CIFS protocol, as I solved many Mac->PC networking issues with it.

Cheers for the help.
themacmeister

Post by themacmeister »

It appears that this problem may be due to UFW (Uncomplicated Fire Wall?) and even though I disabled this, I will re-enable and make this change to test:

Comment following line in /etc/ufw/before.rules file:

-A ufw-before-input -m conntrack --ctstate INVALID -j DROP

Bingo! SSH works perfectly now.
Will report back soon with results...

EDIT: I tested the reverse connection, Win7 PC to the Linux laptop, home folder being shared nicely... didn't test for timeouts, as didn't have time. :)

Return to “Xfce”