LM13 xfce install problem

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
holadebeto

LM13 xfce install problem

Post by holadebeto »

Hello,

I just installed LM13 successfully, with one exception that I can find.

After the install from the DVD, I did an update and then upgrade, and it installed xfce 4.10. After the upgrade and a successful reboot, I installed xfce-goodies. I didn't notice that xfce-goodies in synaptic was 4.8.2. I couldn't get some of the panel applets to work like the Network Monitor. Then after finding out the install problem was incompatibility, I uninstalled xfce-goodies 4.8.2. Now I have two problems. :) 1, the entries in the Add New Items box that came in with the 4.8.2 install didn't leave when I uninstalled it, and #2, I am without a nice neat little network speed monitor down there on my panel.

Can I install a compatible xfce-goodies pkg for 4.10? Is there an edit function to remove the nonworking applets in the Add New Items box?

Hey, everything was going so smooth, I got lulled into the trip and ran into the brick wall.

I tried to get some useful info from the net, but everything was so old, the ppa's were gone, etc. So if anyone out there can remember back when they had LM13 and switched to xfce 4.10, maybe you had the problem and can let me know how you dealt with it. Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
GeneBenson
Level 4
Level 4

Re: LM13 xfce install problem

Post by GeneBenson »

Hi holadebeto,

I am on LM17 and have never used LM13 so I don't know why you have those leftovers hanging around. For a network speed monitor you can use "xfce4-netload-plugin". It works fine here with Xfce 4.10.
In Synaptic, if you choose "Status" (bottom left), and enter "xfce4 plugin" in the Quick filter" you should get a whole list of plugins for the panel.

Hope this helps. :D
holadebeto

Re: LM13 xfce install problem (Solved)

Post by holadebeto »

Thanks for your idea. Assuming that you are referring to "leftovers" is LM13, it is an LTS that will have support for quite a while.
I did install LM17, but had a significant monitor incompatibility problem with it that I couldn't find solutions for, so I went back and reinstalled LM13, which is working perfectly.

The problem with the goodies on my LM13 install was some kind of incompatibility between xfce4.10 and goodies 4.8.2. From Synaptic, I reinstalled xfce4 and then reinstalled goodies, and the problem was resolved.

Return to “Xfce”