Absurdly large XFCE tooltip icons

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
majest

Absurdly large XFCE tooltip icons

Post by majest »

whenever I mouseover an icon on the desktop, a giant tooltip pops up with the name of the program and its icon. I had disable all tooltips for a while with gtk-enable-tooltips = 0 in ~/.gtkrc-2.0 however I do like to mouseover the clock to see the date sometimes, so I re-enabled them.

How to reduce the size of the tooltip for desktop icons? Is it something to do with previews?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
majest

Re: Absurdly large XFCE tooltip icons

Post by majest »

Does anyone have any clues? I'm ready to try anything, even sudo rm -rf / if it will work ;)
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Menu > All Setting ( on the top ) > Desktop > Icons > Show Icon Tooltips, Size: xxx
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
majest

Post by majest »

Nope, that controls the icon size. What about the popup tooltip that is about 1/4 the size of the screen? On mouseover.... MOUSEOVER?? What were they thinking?!? lol
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

majest wrote:Nope, that controls the icon size. What about the popup tooltip that is about 1/4 the size of the screen? On mouseover.... MOUSEOVER?? What were they thinking?!? lol
No it does not. It controls tooltip size:
Tooltip.png
Change the size from 128 or whatever it is currently to 48 or whatever size you desire.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
majest

Post by majest »

Waittaminute... you have an option that I don't have: Show icon tooltips [128].

I don't have that at all - it's just not there. I have xfce4 installed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I'm running Mint17 which may be the difference.

If you are on Mint13 use your favorite text editor and edit /home/user-name/.gtkrc-xfce.

Change this:
style "xfdesktop-icon-view" {
XfdesktopIconView::label-alpha = 0

fg[NORMAL] = "#000000"
fg[SELECTED] = "#000000"
fg[ACTIVE] = "#000000"
}
widget_class "*XfdesktopIconView*" style "xfdesktop-icon-view"
To this:
style "xfdesktop-icon-view" {
XfdesktopIconView::label-alpha = 0

fg[NORMAL] = "#000000"
fg[SELECTED] = "#000000"
fg[ACTIVE] = "#000000"
XfdesktopIconView::tooltip-size = 32
}
widget_class "*XfdesktopIconView*" style "xfdesktop-icon-view"
Then logout and log in again for the change to take affect. Change "32" to whatever value works for you.

Return to “Xfce”