XFCE Qiana Stops After SV Compatibility Failure

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dlc

XFCE Qiana Stops After SV Compatibility Failure

Post by dlc »

It seemed the upgrade (fresh with data and packages re-installation) had worked out nominally, but a few days ago my amd64 box started stopping during init. Along the way to the stoppage two fails are reported:

Code: Select all

* Stopping flush early job output to logs                        [ OK ]
/etc/init.d/rcS: 8: exec: /init/init.d/rc: Permission denied
* Starting System V initialisation compatibility                 [fail]
* Stopping System V initialisation compatibility                 [ OK ]
* Starting SMB/CIFS File and Active Directory Server             [fail]
13 other OK messages follow the Stopping System V message. About 15-20 seconds pass after that last message is displayed, then the reports resume:

* Starting CUPS printing spooler/server                          [ OK ]
* Starting Samba Auto-reload Integration                         [ OK ]
* Starting cups-browsed - Bonjour remote printer browsing daemon [ OK ]
* Stopping Samba Auto-reload Integration                         [ OK ]
At this point nothing happens for more than 24 hours and likely a long time beyond that. No VCs are active but the Alt-Fx keys are enabled. Attempting to shutdown via Ctl-Alt-Del also stops, each time ending with

wait-for-state stop/waiting
/proc/self/fd/9: 5: /proc/self/fd/9: /etc/init.d/rc: Permission denied
and more Clt-Alt-Dels result in the same stoppage.

In a root shell during recovery I see

# ls -ld /etc/init.d
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jul 12 09:23 /etc/init.d
# ls -ld /etc/init.d/rc
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 8635 Jan 30  2013 /etc/init.d/rc
Yesterday I successfully upgraded the packages using the dpkg option in a recovery boot, but the init still stops as before. Today there are no available updates.

Please advise the most helpful approach for everyone for further troubleshooting and problem resolution. I will be happy to attach the output of dpkg -l | grep '^ii' if someone will tell me what filename is acceptable to upload.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dlc

Re: XFCE Qiana Stops After SV Compatibility Failure

Post by dlc »

I finally got back to looking at this again. I used recovery dpkg again and installed 71 updates including upstart. However, the system still stops before activating any virtual consoles.

Three files (/etc/issue, /etc/issue.net, and /etc/lsb-release) were changed from Mint to Ubuntu information. When taking the defaults of N for all three didn't change anything, I went into a recovery root shell and changed the three files into what the update offered to install using /var/log/apt/term.log for guidance.

There have been over a hundred views of this topic but no suggestions have been added. I guess I need to promote this into a LaunchPad bug report. Is that now the preferred approach vis-à-vis creating a topic on the forum?

Return to “Xfce”