MenuLibre stopped working [Solved]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
paul59

MenuLibre stopped working [Solved]

Post by paul59 »

Yesterday I added an item to the Development section of the main menu via MenuLibre (right click on Menu button then 'Edit Applications'). No matter what I did however, I could not get the Deveopment category to actually show up in the menu. As I had spent hours trying to iron out other problerms I shut down the computer to look at it again today.

Today I find that MenuLibre won't open via right-click or by selecting Menu Editor from the main menu. Checking task manager shows that it isn't running. How can I get it to work again without losing the changes I've made to the menu?

TIA

Paul

EDIT: I temporarily moved the desktop files out of ~/.local/share/applications and re-booted (actually I just tried to log out but that often ends in a reboot for some reason) - MenuLibre still doesn't work.

EDIT#2: I tried from a terminal and got this:
paul@HP-Pavilion-15 ~ $ menulibre
ERROR:/build/buildd/gnome-menus-3.10.1/./libmenu/gmenu-tree.c:4022:preprocess_layout_info: assertion failed: (!directory->preprocessed)
Aborted

...means nothing to me though.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
paul59

Re: MenuLibre stopped working

Post by paul59 »

I found a 'fix' for this on askubuntu - delete the contents of ./config/menus. There is no explanation of why it works or what the real issue is.

Having regained access to MenuLibre it still isn't possible to get 'Development' to show up - see the screeny. Unless I am being extra dense there also seems to be no correlation between the MenuLibre ordering of items and separators and the actual menu.

I give up - a month of tinkering with a brand new computer just to get it to work for basic use is just too much. :( I'll try Maya or failing that another distro.
paul59

Re: MenuLibre stopped working

Post by paul59 »

Goddamit I can't let it be! I renamed /home/paul/.local/share/desktop-directories/xfce-development.directory and Development now shows up in the menus. Maybe this file and the directory mentioned above are leftovers and shouldn't be in the XFCE version?

Return to “Xfce”