[Solved] Layout of datetime-applet is broken im LM17

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gonse

[Solved] Layout of datetime-applet is broken im LM17

Post by gonse »

Hi there,

in comparison to LM13 the date and time are overlapping. This is especially annoying if one reduces the heights of the panel.
I attached a picture to make it clear.
Even if one reduces the font size of the applet, the problem persist. Both the date and time seems to be centered in the panel, which isn't the best choice.

This problem also occurs, when using a different theme than mint-x. But for example mist does a better job at this point.

I guess this depends on the used mint-x theme, but a quick search for the appropriate config file wasn't successful.
So, where is the right place to change some options?

By the way, LM13 runs on my real machine and LM17 in virtualbox (same behaviour in a live session). But I dont think this changes anything.

Greetings,
gonse
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
GeneBenson
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Layout of datetime-applet is broken im LM17

Post by GeneBenson »

Hi gonse,

I had the same thing. If you don't mind having the date and time on one line here is a workaround. Right click on the Clock in the panel and choose Properties.
In the window choose for Format Date only.
For Date - Format choose custom and then enter both your Date and Time parameters. Looks much better here then the overlapping I had before.

Hope this helps. :D
cappycappy53

Post by cappycappy53 »

Here's how I solved the problem. Right click on the panel where the date and time are and highlight "Panel". When that opens another window click on "Panel Preferences". That will open the "panel" window. Go down to "Measurements":"Row Size" and move the slider along to where it adjusts the panel size so that the date and time don't overlap. I found about 40 pixels worked for me. Hope that helps and I never thought that I would be giving advice.
gonse

Post by gonse »

Hi there.

@Gene:
This takes unnecessary amount of space in the panel. I would prefer to find the underlying problem and fix it.
I just need a start where such things are configured.

I compiled the datetime-applet myself and it shows the same odd behaviour. Is it a problem with the theme?
Is the cause the development status of XFCE4.11?

Ijust found an rather old related bug report:
https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5762

@cappy:
This even takes more space of my desktop than Genes hint. Thanks anyway.

Regards,
Stefan
gonse

Post by gonse »

Hi,

I found the problem to be in the panel configuration file of the Mint-X theme:
/usr/share/themes/Mint-X/gtk-2.0/styles/panel.rc

I altered it to the attached file and now it looks good.
I filed a bug report under
https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/1340788

Greetings,
gonse

Return to “Xfce”