Mint 17 Xfce - can't change keyboard shortcuts

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
indigopsy

Mint 17 Xfce - can't change keyboard shortcuts

Post by indigopsy »

hi there
today i installed fresh Linux mint XFCE x32 on my laptop
before that i used Xubuntu and Manjaro xfce

after installation i tried to disable keyboard shortcut which popups whisker menu by pressing a Windows button or Super L
but when i open keyboard -> application shortcuts and select that command and click remove nothing happens
if i tried to change it nothing happens
but when i want to make my custom shortcut it works and i can edit and delete it
but dont know how to change or delete default system shortcuts

this buttons work in newest xubuntu and manjaro
here not
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
johnfound

Re: Mint 17 Xfce - can't change keyboard shortcuts

Post by johnfound »

I have this problem as well. Clearing the shortcut have no effect and when I open "Settings|Window manager", the default shortcuts are restored. Tried to add my own shortcut - it appears in the list, but does not work. I need to delete the default Ctrl+Fn shortcuts, because they conflict with some common software shortcuts - Ctrl+F4 for example must close the tabs in all common programs using tabs navigation.
It worked in Linux Mint 13 - my previous installed Linux Mint.
~FLOW~
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ~FLOW~ »

Same problem here
Clearing key with no effect
Linux Mint 21.1
Cinnamon

Be patient !!
What seams easy for you now, for a newbie might be a monumental helping hand.
An efficient pack will move as fast as the slowest member.
thrib

Post by thrib »

Same here :?
hexabit

Post by hexabit »

Same here. Cannot clear shortcuts.

...also in Window Manager f.ex I assign a shortcut to "Show Desktop" as ALT+X but after short time(?) it stops working... well, actually it resets to default...
johnfound

Post by johnfound »

It is really ridiculous! There are 3 (three) different GUI ways to edit the global shortcuts in XFCE:
  • Settings|Keyboard|Application Shortcuts
  • Settings|Window manager|Keyboard
  • Settings|Settings editor|xfce4-keyboard-shortcuts
But all they does not work at all and never worked in Linux Mint! :lol: (EDIT: One of them works in Linux Mint 13, but I can't remember which one. :lol: )

The only way I know for removing/editing the global keyboard shortcuts is to edit one or both of the following files:
  • /usr/share/mint-configuration-xfce/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-keyboard-shortcuts.xml
  • ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-keyboard-shortcuts.xml
Last edited by johnfound on Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
hexabit

Post by hexabit »

Not quite, there is also file:
  • /etc/xdg/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-keyboard-shortcuts.xml
I deleted those 3 files and after that clicked "refresh" in Settings Editor. Then added my shortcuts. Some
of them works but other - like Alt+F8 (that is no longer listed anywhere!) is still bind to Window Resize (but
shout fire up Banshee...) - also some other shortcuts also work like <super>(windows) key ?!

Please check my screenshot.

http://i.imgur.com/wf3OmTK.png
stef70

Post by stef70 »

I noticed the same problem while trying to use Super for most shortcuts.
Most of the problems appear to be be indeed caused by /usr/share/mint-configuration-xfce/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-keyboard-shortcuts.xml
This file is duplicating the keyboard shortcut configuration which confuses several XFCE applications.

SOLUTION: Remove the package mint-artwork-xfce that provides this broken file.

Of course that also removes some artworks but the keyboard shortcuts now work as expected.
toomanyquestions

Post by toomanyquestions »

indigopsy wrote: After installation i tried to disable keyboard shortcut which popups whisker menu by pressing a Windows button or Super L but when i open keyboard -> application shortcuts and select that command and click remove nothing happens if i tried to change it nothing happens but when i want to make my custom shortcut it works and i can edit and delete...
I also had problems with keyboard shortcuts in XFCE 17.1. The whisker menu, desktop switching, etc. I think it *might* be a Mint issue. The problems stopped after I installed Voyager linux (an Xbuntu spin) on my laptop. Moreover, my TV & sound bar sync with my hdmi port (Mint has historically struggled in this department).
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

johnfound wrote:Ctrl+F4 for example must close the tabs in all common programs using tabs navigation.
Linux is sort of like a herd of cats. With Alzheimer's Disease. On acid. So I cannot say that it works with all applications, all distros, or even all the time in the same application being run in the same distro if you're not holding your right arm at the correct angle whilst wiggling your ears at a frequency of 3 wiggles per second :roll: ... But try Ctrl w for closing tabs. IDK which particular "all common programs" using tabs you're talking about, but Ctrl w works in Firefox, Thunar, gedit, others...

Additionally, I have noticed that Ctrl q closes the entire application. Unless it doesn't, in which case Alt F4 does. Unless THAT doesn't work, either, in which case... a herd of cats suddenly seems to be much more sensible than linux :lol: .

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
blahedo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by blahedo »

I was seeing a version of this problem; I just installed 17.1 on my 2008-era iMac (which was previously running Xubuntu). I do a bunch of key remapping, and some of it didn't work, and when I dug down, I found that my left Command key (which is what defaults to Super_L on a Mac-style keyboard) was getting intercepted before I could remap it---the intercepting code seems to have partially patched what it broke, because a lot of the Super-key shortcuts still worked on the default install, but everything broke when I tried to remap that key (because it broke the hack).

Some possibly-useful evidence: When I ran xev, other keys sent events roughly as expected. For instance, the left control key:

Code: Select all

KeyPress event, serial 37, synthetic NO, window 0x1c00001,
    root 0x2c0, subw 0x0, time 52363959, (0,102), root:(871,635),
    state 0x0, keycode 37 (keysym 0xffe3, Control_L), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XFilterEvent returns: False

KeyRelease event, serial 37, synthetic NO, window 0x1c00001,
    root 0x2c0, subw 0x0, time 52364047, (0,102), root:(871,635),
    state 0x4, keycode 37 (keysym 0xffe3, Control_L), same_screen YES,
But the left command key (which, again, should have been Super_L) showed this instead:

FocusOut event, serial 37, synthetic NO, window 0x1c00001,
    mode NotifyGrab, detail NotifyAncestor

FocusOut event, serial 37, synthetic NO, window 0x1c00001,
    mode NotifyUngrab, detail NotifyPointer

FocusIn event, serial 37, synthetic NO, window 0x1c00001,
    mode NotifyUngrab, detail NotifyAncestor

KeymapNotify event, serial 37, synthetic NO, window 0x0,
    keys:  4294967232 0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0  
           0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0
This most closely resembles the events sent when I move the mouse in and out of the xev window and it loses/gains focus. Interestingly, the right Command key was correctly sending Super_R.

After I ran

sudo apt-get remove mint-artwork-xfce
as suggested by stef70 upthread, and rebooted, it seems to have removed the offending interception, so xev now catches the following events when the left Command key is pressed:

KeyPress event, serial 37, synthetic NO, window 0x4a00001,
    root 0x2c0, subw 0x0, time 2066926, (0,161), root:(871,694),
    state 0x0, keycode 133 (keysym 0xffeb, Super_L), same_screen YES,
    XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:

KeyRelease event, serial 37, synthetic NO, window 0x4a00001,
    root 0x2c0, subw 0x0, time 2066982, (0,161), root:(871,694),
    state 0x40, keycode 133 (keysym 0xffeb, Super_L), same_screen YES,
So, I guess that's a workaround for now. But, there really needs to be a better fix someplace. Hopefully the Xfce fixes referenced upthread will do it....
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

I, for one, find it rather interesting that mint-artwork-xfce affects this in any way. That makes this bug rather amusing (albeit, admittedly, annoying to those who are affected). Has anyone filed a bug report? It might be an easy one to fix.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
toomanyquestions

ByeByeXP wrote: there's nothing as annoying as having to re-learn shortcuts over and over; that's where custom bindings fit it, and need to be preserved/respected.

Moreover, LM's "sticky SUPER_L" seems to be unique to LM: neither Xubuntu, nor UberStudent -- both shipping with the WhiskerMenu plugin installed & active as their main menu -- come with that sticky super_l enabled.

I can see the rationale behind LM's sticky super_l: the sticky "SUPER_L" is firmly embedded in the various flavors of Windows since pre-XP times. In theory, emulating XP's behaviour might ease one's transition from the Windows' world-of-things...
I've been wondering if it was still a problem; I guess it is. Oh well, other good xfce distros exist.
toomanyquestions

ByeByeXP wrote: I am glad to report that this seems to have been fixed: "Super_L" now can be reassigned to whatever program/function one wants to start -- the old, "sticky" behavior (unable to change that shortcut) is gone.
Sounds great - perhaps Mint belongs on usb drive now!

Return to “Xfce”