Several small issues !

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bjmh46
Level 4
Level 4

Several small issues !

Post by bjmh46 »

I have been running Mint 17 XFCE from a usb hard drive, on an older Lenovo desktop. (dual core pentium D, 2 gb ram) This is the third version (13, and 16) I've run this way. Computer has win XP on internal sata drive, and in the cases of 13, and 16, I would get a grub boot menu. I do not get the menu with 17. Funny thing is, I started out with the RC and did not get the menu. Then, after several updates I did get the menu. I decided to start over with the final release (on a different hard drive) and now after many many updates, I still do not get the boot menu. In all cases the original install was done with the internal drive disconnected. In the cases of 13 and 16, upon reconnecting the internal drive and booting, grub seemed to recognise that another operating system was available, and gave me the boot menu. Just not so with 17. Any ideas? Anyone else have this issue?

Second issue is that the menu is still "laggy". It started out terrible--like a 4 second delay--but improved over time, but is still not as snappy as the menu in Mint 16. In fact, the whole system feels less responsive than it did/does under Mint 16.

Third issue is that I still use a couple of Windows programs under Wine. Primarily Progecad, and ImageBurn. I've never had a problem running either of these in Mint 13, or 16. In Mint 17, I get crashes about 50% of the time I try to run them. Not a huge deal, since I also run Draftsight (native Linux). Ideas?

I am still running Mint 16 full time on my laptop, and love it! I'd like the LTS feature of 17, but for the time being, I am staying with 16.

Regards
Bob
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Several small issues !

Post by I2k4 »

I've never done what your are, i.e. booting from multiple HDDs, so no experience. I have had good experience with post-install GRUB problems dual booting on the same HDD using Boot-Repair:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

I've used the "2nd Option" installing and running it from a Live USB thumb drive but apparently it would work installed on any of your Mint boots. Since your setup is a bit different you might have to go under the hood if the one-click fix doesn't do it, but I highly recommend the app. Good luck.
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Mint/Ubuntu user since 10.04 LTS. LM20 64 bit XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual boot LM20 XFCE / Win7 (Lenovo desktop and Acer netbook). Testing LM21.1 Cinnamon and XFCE Live for new Lenovo desktop.

Return to “Xfce”