Mint 17 XFCE: How to remove items from the menu?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
paul59

Mint 17 XFCE: How to remove items from the menu?

Post by paul59 »

Is it possible to remove the categories 'Favourites', 'Recently Used' and 'All' from the whisker menu without breaking anything?

Ideally i'd also like to remove my username (I'm the only user and I can still remember my name :D ) and the logout button (which would make the top band of the menu redundant).

I've marked the offending items in the screenshot.

Many thanks

Paul
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
monkeyboy

Re: Mint 17 XFCE: How to remove items from the menu?

Post by monkeyboy »

Graeme Gott (the man behind Whisker) used to have a page up on GitHub. That might be another/better information source to check with. Good Luck
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgreeny »

Have you tried installing menulibre and then doing doing what you want with a right click on the whisker menu button ->Properties?

I prefer the stardard main menu, so do not use whisker-menu, though I have just added it to look in more detail, and I see in the Behaviour tab that menulibre is used to edit the applications.

Give it a try!
paul59

Post by paul59 »

Thanks both. I'm just using the default stuff installed with 17 XFCE, including menulibre (which now seems to be broken). I like the way this whisker menu works - simple and fast - but I'd like to get rid of stuff I don't use; I'll check out that page on Github.

What's the difference between the standard menu and whisker menu and how would I 'revert' to the standard form?

Cheers

Paul
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgreeny »

Right click on the panel, go to Panel ->Add items and choose the menu you want (I can't remember what it's called in the list, but I'm sure you'll find it)

If you like it, keep it and remove whisker menu with a right click ->Remove.
Fixer1234

Post by Fixer1234 »

ajgreeny wrote:Right click on the panel, go to Panel ->Add items and choose the menu you want (I can't remember what it's called in the list, but I'm sure you'll find it)

If you like it, keep it and remove whisker menu with a right click ->Remove.
Didn't realize that the panel apps was where you can choose between Whisker and "Applications Menu". Thanks for the info.
paul59 wrote:Is it possible to remove the categories 'Favourites', 'Recently Used' and 'All' from the whisker menu without breaking anything? Ideally i'd also like to remove my username (I'm the only user and I can still remember my name :D ) and the logout button (which would make the top band of the menu redundant).
Paul
The applications menu, structured by category, is defined by a collection of files. All of the menu programs and menu editors supposedly use that same collection of files (I say supposedly because I'm learning that the menu editors are not well-behaved). The difference is just in how the information is displayed and in the user interface. Within that category structure, you can control which categories get displayed and which items within the categories.

To your original question, Favorites, Recently Used, and All and not part of that structure. The generic "Applications Menu" that you can access through the panel customization, is a bare-bones version that reflects only the applications as defined by the common menu definition files. It doesn't contain any of the stuff you want to get rid of, also including your user name, logout button, or other items. Those are all additions provided by the Whisker menu. If you just switch to that menu, you won't see any of the extraneous stuff and you won't break anything.

BTW, it looks like the default menu editor you get on that menu if you right click and select edit menu under properties is Alacarte. I haven't had any more luck with that than with Menulibre. If you want to edit the menu, you can run any compatible menu editor in the terminal (just type its name, like menulibre or alacarte). I'm still trying to find one that works in Xfce.
paul59

Post by paul59 »

Thank you both for the information. I can live with the stuff I don't really want to see/need in exchange for the search feature in the whisker menu - I'm trying to make things as keyboard friendly as possible so I'm working without any application launchers; opening the menu and typing 'web' to launch Firefox for example is quicker than messing about with the touchpad or using the old style menu :) I would probably stick to using i3 if I was the only user of this machine ;)

The most annoying aspect of the whisker menu is the delay of about 5 seconds when it is first opened - if I could fix that I'd be happy.

Cheers

Paul

Return to “Xfce”