LM 13 xfce Maya Black Desktop No Icons

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
brandon2cool

LM 13 xfce Maya Black Desktop No Icons

Post by brandon2cool »

Hello, I been spending the last 6 months getting familiar with Linux and installed for family for older laptops, wonderful results. I know everything there is to know about Windows, can fix just about anything Windows related :D

So here's the problem, I had set up my old compaq presario srw160 machine with Linux Mint 13. I connected to my it to my tv, watched videos, tweaked various workarounds for Java, newest version of Firefox, and installed all the updates. I even installed the Linux paperweight (Lexmark) printer remotely for my stepmom. Just a quick history about me so you no where I'm at.

So last weekend I shut it down, all was well. Last night I wanted to run it and the desktop was black with no icons. I had the panel bar and menu. The forums speak of nautilus, killall ect...Even though nothing nautilus related was installed I ran through terminal the various fixes I read, "no process found" checked software manager, searched nautlius nothing found installed.

I hadn't check the synaptic package manager but looking at the live cd nautilus-data and libnautilus-extension1a.

What I did find is when I run terminal and change to desktop directory the icons are there or if I go into menu and view home. I went to display settings and tinkered there. I hadn't installed any drivers or anything to that nature. I searched the forums and there wasn't fix, any ideas to point me in the right direction?

I installed the same version on my stepmoms laptop and if this happens to her I would like to not have to reinstall. Thanks 8)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
brandon2cool

Re: LM 13 xfce Maya Black Desktop No Icons

Post by brandon2cool »

Update: Last night I used the backup tool and backed up the software. I installed linux mint 13 xfce onto a virtual machine and ran it, was okay.

I restore my software backup onto my virtual machine and all is well. I restart and the black desktop with no icons is back :shock:

Sounds like my installation broke that night during the updates. My backup isn't very big so I guess I can trial and error one of the updates has a bug.
brandon2cool

Post by brandon2cool »

Update: So on a new mint 13 xfce virtual machine I attempted to install each software one at a time and restarting from my backup; it didn't break. :x

The last thing is to install updates onto it to see it break. I don't believe in coincidences, it doesn't come down to hardware or drivers. An old desktop computer and a virtual machine suffering the same problem rules that with certainty.

Unless someone knows something I don't know the only sure safe bet is to avoid the updates like the plague. I could change the preferences in update manager to tested only but I have no idea where that landmine is.

Just outta curiosity why is the level 3 checked by default? Safe packages. Not tested but believed to be safe. :shock:
Blackbirds

Post by Blackbirds »

I'm facing the same problem with the same idea, it worked perfectly until one of the so many updates where installed.
No sollution so far?
LM13XFCE on a 500gb Hd (plenty of space) one partition
Blackbirds

Post by Blackbirds »

This worked for me
brandon2cool

Post by brandon2cool »

Update: I'm still working on a solution. I have to use Linux Mint right now for personal use because my hardware is failing and linux has fewer issues than windows 7 with my problems until I get a replace my laptop in a few weeks.

Anyways out of the blue the desktop randomly went black again. The only visual thing is the task bar (panel). I can only access desktop if I open a folder and choose desktop.

It's not that big of deal but I did remote install of linux mint for my stepmom and I worry that will happen to her.

I will attempt a posters reply and attempt to use the live cd. I have no idea on what he means by cleaning up. I know what it means for Windows so I assume something like Bleachbit.

Will post later how it goes.

Return to “Xfce”